Wifi security camera

Hi everyone,
I wonder if someone can advise me.
We live in the Deux-Sevres for 6 months of the year and the remaining time in Jersey. This year, for the first time in 12 years, we have had 2 possible breakins. I say possible because the only thing that occurred was damage to our electric gates. The first time someone hit the gates so hard the hinges were pulled out of the wall. A week later after having them repaired by a friend who also put plastic zip ties round the gate, the same thing happened.
I wonder if it is possible to set up a camera that we can access from Jersey? We have our wifi on all year round.
Is this possible or is it too far for wifi to work? The other option is a camera connected to a video recorder but this will reset itself so will not be much use I feel.
Can anyone advise please.
Many thanks.

An IP camera will work via the internet, regardless as to where you are in the world.
I've never had one, so I'm unsure if recoding is only local on an internal card, or if you can record on a remote computer.

Fred wrote:

An IP camera will work via the internet, regardless as to where you are in the world.
I've never had one, so I'm unsure if recoding is only local on an internal card, or if you can record on a remote computer.

IP cameras can record either to a internal card, local networked storage, or even to cloud storage now on a 7 day loop I believe.

Sorry, what's an IP camera? Is this connected via wifi to my router?
Thanks.