Documents Required to Open Bank Account in Cyprus

I wish to move to Cyprus his month and have a question about opening a bank account there, Piraeusbank requires according to their website a certified true copy of a valid passport.

I wish to confirm that this does not mean taken to the British Embassy, as certified really means certified by a Lawyer or other professional.

Can any one offer me information on opening a bank account in Cyprus? I do not want to go through the hassle and hurdles of getting something wrong.

Thank you.

usually an apostle - notary or lawyer i beleive

My mother and father in law opened an account in Hellenic bank with just their passport and document with UK address on it (bank statement, utility bill) as they had not received any Cypriot utility bills at that point and my husband opened one with the Bank of Cyprus using passport and Cyprus rental agreement.  No lawyer or anything like that was required.  Hope this helps :)

yes it does... thanks Lisa

Thanks for this post. I will be out next month and need to open a bank account so I assume my passport and a copy of our title deeds will be enough?

Okay so my experience on opening of bank accounts in Cyprus:

1. I went into the bank of Cyprus to open a bank account, they took copies of my passport, rental contract and internet invoice for installation, I have no utility bills. Bank account opened without too much trouble.

2. Went into the Alpha Bank and they wanted a utility bill and not the internet invoice I had, also they were not happy with the rental contract I had as it was a photocopy, the landlord has the other. The woman there was not so interested in my plight and didnt seem to bothered with me to be honest.

I did go into the Hellenic Bank but they were very busy and I did see a couple who wanted to open a bank account and the guy was telling them they needed proof of earnings, so I left without trying myself.

So in my experience the Bank of Cyprus was not fussy and was willing to help me be their customer, however the Alpha Bank seemed to find ways to push me away, they must have too many customers.

We had no issues with the Hellenic Bank and their accounts work fine as does their online banking services

Hello everyone
This Topic ist very interessting
I´am Swiss and Portuguies
I'm going to Cyprus for 3 months from January to the end of March 2019. I would like to open an account. But also I would like to open a trading account, please someone can advise me some platform easy to use and not expensive in Cyprus for my trade ?????
Maybe i would like to live there, but first 3 Months to figure out if i feel well there
very grateful
Marie

am sure trading accounts are available to businesses but id wait until you've made your decision to stay or leave! - you will need proof of address (bills house purchase invoice or tax stamped rental lease-all in your name and current cyprus address) and passport initially but they will demand your yellow slip (Alien Registration Certificate) as to your right to stay.

they may limit the accounts available to you until the required documentation is supplied....

Hi Toon
Thank You so much for Your anwser.

In the beginning I will not buy a House or a Flat.
Does this mean that if I rent an apartment in a tourist complex, and do not have gas or electricity bills, the Bank will make but ?    If I prove the origin of my Retirement, is it not enough? The proofs of my Retirement are written in German, will I have to translate? there or in Zyprus ? How long does it take to do the "Alien Registration Certificate" where do I have to go for it? My favorite place to go is Paphos. And a few days ago I started to think that it would be better to go already in October 18.

I am very grateful for your help and suggestions.
Have a great weekend
Greetings from Switzerland

They are quite understanding at the beginning but you will need to provide an initial address and then they will want to see confirmation of that address with bill and rental lease etc

You will also need pot provide them with proof of income as to what they are likely to see paid into the account regularly on the basis of a annual amount.

Not sure of the translation requirement but maybe!!! best to be safe

as for the ARC you must go to the Immigration Dept in Paphos  with your passport and arrange an appointment  - when youve done that they will give you a tick list of what they require from you (all in duplicate) and some of the documents may need to be apostilled ie officially authorised by the issuing authority in your home country.

at the moment there is a 2-3 months wait for appointments

once you ve got the documents together..... off you go to the Immigration Dept and assuming all is well with the documents in and out in 10-20 mins walk out all legal with the yellow slip...

Thank You so much Toon
Very nice from You, to give me all this advice.
Yes, then I'll  prepare me of the best way possible.
Very grateful for your kindness. Thanks.
I wish you a great weekend.
Greetings from Switzerland
Marie