Powerful 7.8 Earthquake Rocks Ecuador’s Coast -- Hundreds Are Dead

Associated Press and CNN for Latin America are reporting:

An earthquake of 7.8 magnitude centered in or around Esmeraldas Province near Ecuador's Pacific Coast caused deaths, damage and panic in EC's central coastal region tonight, Saturday night (April 16, 2016).

EC Vice President Jorge Glas, in a televised address, stated that at least 41 people have been killed in Guayaquil, Manta and Portoviejo -- cities hundreds of kilometers from the quake's epicenter.  The epicenter was reported to be in a sparsely-populated area of small fishing villages -- 27 kilometers (16 miles) southeast of the town of Muisne (MWEEZ-nay).  Damage included the destruction of a yet-to-be-determined number of homes.

The provinces of Esmeraldas, Guayas, Los Ríos, Santo Domingo, Santa Elena and at least one other coastal province have been declared a state of emergency.

This is the most powerful earthquake in Ecuador in decades.

The Cuenca Highlife website reports that powerful aftershocks were experienced Saturday night in the cities of Bahía de Caráquez (5.4 magnitude) and Pedernales (4.8).  The website says that in Guayaquil, an overpass collapsed and walls of a shopping center collapsed.

Source: www.cuencahighlife.com

According to a couple of things I've seen, the airport in Manta is closed. Air control tower collapsed.

It was terrifying and lasted so long. Our building literally swayed back and forth. I hope the death toll doesn't rise beyond the reported  41.

gardener1 wrote:

According to a couple of things I've seen, the airport in Manta is closed. Air control tower collapsed.

I think Manta got hit hard, in earlier reports when the death toll was 26, ten fatalities were from Manta.

At the moment the most updates are on Twitter. "All mobile operators have opened using free text messages in the provinces of Manabi and Esmeraldas."

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets& … p;src=tren
#manabí
#Esmeraldas
#canoe

If you use Chrome for your browser, just right click the mouse over text/translate this page. It translates the entire page.

A tweet from #manabi: "Jama citizens are gathered in the park central.No no light and communication services cellular network collapsed."

Hello,
I just read this breaking headline this a.m. on msn.com about the earthquake you mentioned along the Pacific Coast:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pow … spartandhp

Prayers to all.

Regards,
PS

I've been on the internet/Twitter for many hours, the sun is starting to come up in Ecuador.

Manta looks wrecked. Really bad.

Staggering damage in an area which does not have the resources to deal with this.

I've been reading tweets pleading for help all night long, I'm 5,000 miles away and there is nothing I can do. I have never felt so helpless.

This is tragic news . My prayers for the affected .

Keep Safe guys . Take care

Reporting from Tonsupa-Esmeraldas, luckily, no major damages, just scary moments.
MM

My husband and I plan to move to Ecuador in two years. So we are new to much.
We have watched USA news and received little information.  We searched the web for more.
It seems like much of the northern coastal areas and km inland had much damage.  We will continue to follow over the web.
We pray for everyone there.

The people of Ecuador are in my heart and thoughts in Austin Texas.  I wish I was there already to help with this tragedy that has rocked the beautiful people of Ecuador.  You are a strong and resilient people ... stay strong.

My heart is hurting for everyone involved.  Cannot imagine losing my home.

I was going to move to Cuenca but I am wondering if this is God's warning to stay home.

Praying for you.

Update, Sunday, April 17, 2016....

Presidente Correa cut short a trip to Europe and returned to Ecuador today.  He tweeted that the earthquake death toll is at least 233.

In a presidential decree, he has widened the scope of the State of Emergency to include the entire country.

From Manta, an official at Fundación Esperanza Canina -- an organization that cares for animals in that city -- posted on Facebook that the Fundación's center was crushed in the quake, killing two dogs.

The mayor of Quito stated that some roads to the capital have been blocked by rockslides.  No fatalities have been reported in the Quito area due to the earthquake.

The 7.8 quake was 20 times as strong as the deadly earthquake that hit Japan last week.

Source:  The New York Times

cccmedia

It's business as usual in Quito, at least in the Carolina area. People are out and about in the park, and shops and restaurants are open. Around 2:20am last night a big aftershock made the building move again. The building swayed for about 30 seconds, nothing like the initial earthquake which lasted more than 2 minutes, which seemed like an eternity.  I've never experienced an Earthquake and aftershock that lasted so long.

Quito is dispatching its resources including 130 firefighters to provinces that were severely affected (source El Comercio).  It's a somber day, the fear is replaced with sadness. For the sake of Ecuador and everyone living here let's hope the worst has passed.

Any word on manta and bahia

Greggy61 wrote:

Any word on manta ...

"Ambulances, firefighter and IESS vans' sirens are ringing non-stop in the streets of Manta and Portoviejo. It is estimated that about 25 buildings are in bad shape in Manta. Commercial flights are suspended at the airport, and there is a police plane to transport the wounded. Looting has also taken place at two pharmacies (probably for medical supplies). Many residents fearing a Tsunami left their homes for higher ground."

Source
http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/op … emoto.html

I read the following, echoing ccmedia's report:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ear … spartandhp

OMG I'm so ineffably sorry and pray for all those who have lost family, friends, coworkers. Our prayers our with all of you. Is there some gofundme website we can access, cccmedia?
Warmest wishes,
PS

sO SAD FOR VENERYONE.  Be safe.

In VA, we'd like to know if there is a "fundme" website we can visit to donate. Please do keep us apprised. I will post it on FB as well.  God bless.
PS

For those who live in Ecuador, and want to help by donating items this is a helpful link with address of collection points throughout the country. Churches are also taking donations. Non-perishable items like blankets, hygiene kits, first aid kits, non-perishable food are preferred according to government instructions.

https://twitter.com/InclusionEc

Hi, vsimple,
I don't live in Ecuador but want to spread the word here in the U.S. What organization can we contact? Thank you so much and God bless to all.
PS

Same here.  I am in Portland & don't know what to do.   Please keep us posted with the info you get.   We are getting very little info  here in US. 

Does anyone know how our members in the areas affected are doing? 
Its times like this that you realise this posting back and forth gives us friends as well as information.

My thought and wishes are with all there.

Pascal Laflamme from the project Las Olas has lost his wife and his 12 years old son...this is very SAD

No, Please don't give up on your dreams.  Bad things happen everywhere in the world. 

The hard things like these  make us stronger and better.  I will be moving to Ecuador this December & spent a couple of month there recently in Cuenca.  I can tell you the people of EC are resilient and beautiful people.  This will only make their harts shine.

I hope everyone is doing ok.  Please keep us posted.  We are getting little info here in US.
Thanks

Hi cccmedia!

Please keep us posted.  we are getting very little news.  I am worried about our members, I read about all the time, that are in the affected areas.  At this point these is how we are getting our news here state side.  CNN not much.  BBC has bit better coverage I think.
As far as knowing about our members affected.   Definitely very little known.

I have a lot of faith in the people of Ecuador but hard times for many is now. 
If there is anything You can suggest to help,  I would love a post on it with some insight. 
You are there and always on the money.  How can we help?
As always , Thank you.
Martha in  Portland OR

Yes I am in Portland and very little known locally.  How can we help from here.
Thank you for your post

Thank you for your post

peripatetic_soul wrote:

Hi, vsimple,
I don't live in Ecuador but want to spread the word here in the U.S. What organization can we contact? Thank you so much and God bless to all.
PS

Hey PS,

Here is an Ecuadorean government website that includes two options for International Donations. One is under the UNDP. Scroll down to "Donaciones Internacionales,  hope this helps. Thanks for the well wishes, and regards.

http://www.inclusion.gob.ec/campana-sol … coleccion/

mountain aire wrote:

Pascal Laflamme from the project Las Olas has lost his wife and his 12 years old son...this is very SAD

This is very sad indeed. I just read a news article about this family. One day they are living the dream and waiting for a dream home and the next their lives are shattered.  They were believed to be living in Bahia-de-Caraquez when the roof collapsed on them. The daughter also survived. Condolences to him and his daughter.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/two-can … earthquake

MGLuke wrote:

Thank you for your post

In Ecuador there are local collection points for needed supplies.  Perhaps for you in Portland this information might be more useful. Copy & pasted with Chrome translate:

Ecuador's foreign ministry has opened bank accounts, one in the country and two abroad to receive financial donations.

-------

Account for national contributions:

Entity: National Development Bank,
Account name: "ECB Secretary of Risk Management",
no. Current Account: 3001033189
Code Income: 180110

------
Accounts for International contributions:

Entity: Bank of America NY
SWIFT Code: BOFAUS3N
Account name: "RISK MANAGEMENT CCU SECRETARY / CENTRAL PLANT"
no. Current Account: 01121807
Bank: Bank of America NY
Account Name: UNDP Rep Of Ecuador Account.
No. Account: 3751560139
Bank ID: 111000012
Bank Type: ZBA bank
------

Entity: Bank of America - USA
Account #: 3751560139
Account name: UNDP REPRESENTATIVE IN ECUADOR
Swift code: BOFAUS3N
ACH routing number: 111000012

---------
Episcopal Conference

Ecuador's Catholic bishops expressed their request for a national collection and ask that citizens can make their contribution to the current account of Banco del Pichincha # 3085358804 on behalf of the Ecuadorian Episcopal Conference, RUC 1790100219001.

http://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/2016 … to-ecuador

I agree.  Everyone does feel like a friend.

MGLuke wrote:

Hi cccmedia!
If there is anything You can suggest to help,  I would love a post on it with some insight. 
You are there and always on the money.  How can we help?
As always, Thank you.
Martha in  Portland OR

Besides donation points already mentioned, you can google:  u.s. donations ecuador earthquake .. to bring up relevant donation websites.

cccmedia

Hi, I am an absolute animal lover.  I did facebook the rescue shelter.  That, too, is so sad.  They can not speak.  We have to do it for them.  Sometimes I think if my dogs talked, I would not love them as much (a joke.

June

Just hope every body is safe.

The Telegraph's Spanish-language website reports the following...

In Guayaquil on Sunday, armed men stopped and robbed two trucks carrying donations designated for earthquake assistance.

The truck drivers did not resist.  The thieves got away with the money.

Nobody was physically injured.

Source: www.eltelegrafo.com.ec

Presidente Rafael Correa toured areas of devastation in Manta and Portoviejo on Sunday.

He was just back from an interrupted trip to the Vatican -- and previously the United States -- this past week.

He called the earthquake and its effects the worst tragedy that Ecuador has had in the past 67 years.

Source... www.eltelegrafo.com.ec

This nightmare will end. Let's hope for a quiet night and more survivors saved overnight. One day at a time.

The New York Times is reporting that  a total of 370 buildings were destroyed by the earthquake in two cities in coastal Manabí province -- Portoviejo, the provincial capital of 223,000, and Pedernales, a formerly tourist-friendly city of 55,000 (population statistics per Wikipedia, including Pedernales “canton”).  Portoviejo is about 11 miles east of the Pacific Ocean.

According to El Telégrafo website, one of the buildings that collapsed was a hotel where it is believed 30 to 50 guests were staying when the quake hit at about 8 p.m. on Saturday.  The website says the fates of those inside the hotel have not been confirmed.

El Telégrafo also reports that seven hotel-type buildings went down Saturday night in the Tarqui section of Manta.  It's unclear how many casualties resulted, the website says.  The population of Manta is 217,000 (Wikipedia).

Such incidents/reports show why the death toll has been slowly increasing as rescue efforts in the coastal areas move forward.  The efforts have been slowed by spotty or compromised phone, Internet, potable water, food delivery and electrical services in the affected provinces.

15,000 national police and military troops have been mobilized to assist communities in quake emergency zones, according to the EC government.  Hundreds of doctors, other health professionals and private-sector rescue workers have been arriving at the hardest-hit areas, says El Telégrafo.

Other Latin American governments are sending support personnel.  The first to arrive came to Manta on Sunday, flying in from Venezuela.  Colombia and Mexico are also participating in the international effort.

cccmedia

The United States Embassy in Quito has posted earthquake-related messages and Embassy phone numbers the last two days (April 16 and 17, 2016). 

The Embassy has a STEP program to stay in touch with Expats during emergencies.

Source:  ecuador.usembassy.gov

MSN has a series of 37 slides which show the wreckage, mostly in Manta.