What to bring

Hi all,

I guess this question is more for the women here, but did you find there were certain toiletry items that were hard to find once you got to Libya?  e.g. certain perfumes, make-up, hair products, etc...

I am looking into coming to Libya and I'm very "green" about what I need.  (pun intended) :)

Thanks for your help,

N

bring tampons (someone has to say it) i've only found one brand (tampax), not my favourite. Not sure about the other stuff. You might find a few recognisable make up brands and hair products, but if you are particular, its probably better to bring your own.

I agree - you might not be able to find the exact brands you use at home, but you will be able to find most cosmetic items. Purfumes shouldn't be a problem. So yes, if you are picky about what you use, stock up and bring with you.

I buy from home as some brands are just not found here or if they are they are charging waaay too much for it.  Unknown brand of mascara for 30 dinar is one example. Sometimes the supply of the brands they do have can be unreliable too.  I was using a certain face cream and then all of a sudden I could not find it anywhere.  Perfume is available.  If you use professional hair products you should buy them from home.  Some drugstores are bringing in some good brands, but it can be hit and miss.

From Miami to Libya... Think twice :lol:

Aqu,

Wait, Libya is not at all like Miami?  (I'm teasing you)

N

Bring yourself..............

npatmills wrote:

Aqu,

Wait, Libya is not at all like Miami?  (I'm teasing you)

N

I m just kidding. You dont want to turn back Miami :lol:

npatmills wrote:

Hi all,

I guess this question is more for the women here, but did you find there were certain toiletry items that were hard to find once you got to Libya?  e.g. certain perfumes, make-up, hair products, etc...

I am looking into coming to Libya and I'm very "green" about what I need.  (pun intended) :)

Thanks for your help,

N

You will only find some particular brands here so the best call will be to bring what you use.

Each and everything is way too much overpriced. Shopkeepers and store staff never bother to help. Even while staying in Libya, shop from Tunisia or Malta.

NB: You're so brave ella :thanks:

npatmills wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for your help,

N

Hi
Unless you have any particular product you cannot live without, you don't need to bring anything. I was told the same, yet could not believe so I brought plenty of unnecessary products and clothing. Especially when it comes to shampoo, given the nature of the water here in Tripoli, one really needs to re-establish what is better for one's hair here under these circumstances. Besides, it is a nice opportunity for an american consumer to discover some european stuff, such as Yves Roche seems really cool compared to many american drugstore products.
what I could not find in tripoli so far (other than the obvious)
-sports bra (there are really old fashioned ones at the Marks and Spencer)
-camping gear, including large backpacks
-silk lingerie
-not fancy, non-glittering tennis shoes (or walking shoes) for women
-sporty, non-fancy swimwear for women

otherwise, unless you are very particular about a brand, there is everything and more.
good luck
fk