Making Friends

Hello Everyone,

Pleasure to Speak with you all via this message,

I have been in Porto for the last two and a half months. I came in as a tourist but I felt in love with the country right before my flight back home. I love the weather, beer and people here generally. I am struggling to make friends and find places to hung out since my Portuguese is terrible. For the last few weeks, I have been taking Portuguese classes which is going on well.

I would like to meet new people, fun or serious people. I have a job offer in the communication department at Concentric company from the next month which will eat all my time. I wanna make friends but I don't know how to go about this

Any comments, shared advice will be valued.

Tongeche, don't despair -- there are plenty of people in the same situation as you. It may be easier for you to start off making friends in this particular group (other expats), and then once you begin working with Portuguese and learn the language, it will become easier to make friends with Portuguese.

Some suggestions of groups you could join for social activity:
meetup.com/Porto-Internationals/ (there is a rafting activity tomorrow)

You will find the full list of Meetup groups in Porto here (lots of activities):
meetup.com/cities/pt/porto/

You have to be a member to view, but there are free features and paid features:
internations.org/porto-expats

If you use Facebook, this one is linked to the Meetup group called Porto Internationals:
facebook.com/groups/839960832723366/

Hope this helps!