Help about living costs in Japan

Hi, I am looking for someone working in Japan who can tell me about living costs per month. As I would stay for a few months, I think I must have to rent a furnished apartment, preferentially of two bedrooms. Considering this, can anyone estimate the living cost for two people and a child? Or at least...how much would be enough living in moderate level?
The city is: Matsuyama (Ehime)
Many thanks!

you could get decent 2 rooms/living/kitchen (unfurnished) for below 100,000yen/month in Ehime.However,in the big cities like tokyo/yokohama or osaka,that would only buy you a one bedroom with kitchen.Furnished rental is not common here,only rich expats can afford it.

Hello everyone :)

@sttomas: I am publishing the average cost (in Japan) of the basic or day to day, necessities! Hope this might help you!

Restaurants Avg. Range Cost
Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant     10.22 $   
Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant 52.19 $   
Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar 6.52 $   
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 3.88 $   
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 5.33 $   
Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)    1.34 $    
Water (0.33 liter bottle)    1.23 $

Markets    Avg. Cost   
Milk (regular), 1 liter     2.20 $   
Loaf of Fresh Bread     1.84 $   
Eggs (12)    2.44 $   
Fresh Cheese (1kg)    22.33 $   
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg)     11.23 $   
Water (1.5 liter bottle)    1.44 $   
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range)    13.22 $   
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro)    3.68 $   

Transportation Avg.Cost
One-way Ticket (local transport)     2.07 $   
Monthly Pass    106.83 $   
Taxi (5km within center)     23.55 $   
Gasoline (1 liter)    1.36 $   

Rent Per Month Avg.   
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre    983.42 $   
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre    893.15 $   
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre     2,216.44 $   
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 1,765.62 $   

Buy Apartment Price    
Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment in City Centre     8,365.44 $   
Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment Outside of Centre     4,864.80 $   

Utilities (Monthly).   
Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage) 151.17 $   
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff (no discounts or plans)0.50$   
Internet (2 Mbps ADSL flat) 25.70 $   

Warm Regards
Source: Cost of Living, Numbeo -
Figure updated on December 2010

Some of those estimated costs posted seem a bit off - prices and costs vary so widely depending on where you are in Japan. For instance, you can get a lot of apartments outside of cities for far less than $800 (yes, even 2 bedrooms).

As for a furnished apartment, that may be more difficult to find, and typically employers would set up new employees with a furnished apartment (if they provide that service). If you are seeking out an English-teaching job, then this will be somewhat easier to find. I did a quick apartment check for Matsuyama, Ehime and the price per month ranged from 45,000 yen to 110,000 yen a month. (all 2 bedroom) and don't think many were furnished. However, it's also important to keep in mind that not all building owners will rent to foreigners. My husband and I will be going through this process soon, but I would suggest having a Japanese person help you find one and help take care of meeting and paperwork.

If you rent a cheaper apartment (still nice, though), let's say you pay around 55,000 yen a month or so. If you live frugally and don't travel extensively, you could easily live off of 250,000 - 300,000 yen. Food costs vary depending on location and how much "foreign" or "imported" food you buy, but on average, if you buy a lot of local food, you can keep your food costs to around 60,000 -70,000 yen (or less, depending on what you eat, how much your child eats as well, etc.) Utilities vary. We spend about 5000 yen a month on internet, 10000 on cell phones, and gas gets much higher in the winter, so I believe around 10000-12000 in winter and much less in summer. BUT we don't have an air conditioner, which drains a lot of money. Water is pretty cheap as is a basic phone, together around 3000 -4000 yen or so. Electricity also varies but ours is similar to gas.

If you have a car, then you'll be paying for gas and possibly optional insurance, so perhaps 9000-12,000 a month or so, depending.

Hope I didn't forget anything else.... but it does highly depend on your spending habits and lifestyle. My husband and I live a simple lifestyle and do ok, but people who travel and do a lot more may not have as much to save from their salary.

thanks gratefully aciara14 and all of who have posted!!
This is helping me to make up my mind about accepting the fellowship that have been offered
thanks in advance