The change within and without

Vietnam has changed me (or at least I have changed while in Vietnam).  I came as a visitor, university president 15 years ago on a short trip to develop educational partnerships.  Saigon was slower then and there was a lone hotel - the Furama - on the beach in Da Nang; even getting to the beach was a challenge with few bridges and dodgy roads.

Fast forward, I've slowed down as Vietnam has sped up.   Much of the charm of central Saigon is being obliterated, a new, long anticipated Metro system is tearing up the streets, high rises abound and giant cranes and billboards heralding new developments stretch in every direction.

Even Da Nang has emerged, but in a more orderly, professional manner - befitting its progressive leadership.  As I've grown patient, Vietnamese are impatient with the pace of change - in the system, in education and a host of other enterprises.   But, I take a longer view and notice the subtleties of change.  Fifteen years ago, a foreigner like me speaking to locals was observed by local police; now its commonplace (the greatest risk in Saigon is not being mugged but being hit by a motorbike or mobbed by enthusiastic English practitioners in public parks).   Internet was costly and regulated (now its better than most of the US); and where no English language publications were easily found, my guy on Dong Khoi Street in Saigon has next week's editions of NY Times, the Economist, and Time magazine.   Even the VN Airlines executive lounge has, on occasion, a western publication or two.

Prices are higher, variety is greater, knockoffs of things American(and the real thing like Dunkin Donuts) are everywhere; but there still is the countryside, the highlands, and within the cities, those traditional neighborhoods for real pho, ban xeo, coffee and slowing down.

I doubt any country is the same 15 years ago.

Fifteen years ago, a foreigner like me speaking to locals was observed by local police
In 1993 in Hanoi, my bushwalking co-traveller noticed we were being followed by the same bloke who  was behind us the previous day. No proble, if he wanted to walk 20kms a day, it was good exercise for him, too.

Roy J Nirschel PhD :

Vietnam has changed me (or at least I have changed while in Vietnam). .

A mix of development, estate agents smelling money, and changes in international political interests (read "bent politicians and bent cash") will do that to pretty much anywhere, and explain the police or lack of them when it comes to following foreigners.

Questions and answers about Vietnam

Ask your question
Looking for a house or apartment
By takataka
Looking for a Room for Rent near District 1
By petrified07
Philippine School In Ho Chi MInh City
By pinoypogiako
Kids Classes and Activities in Didtrict 7
By jenniepham
oil changes
By panda7

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam