Border crossing between Hungary and Croatia

I moved from France to Hungary few months ago and I plan to spend 2 weeks holidays with my family in Croatia this summer 2016 (with car). We have 2 young kids and wonder if the border crossing would be too busy with huge queues in both sides. Does anyone know or experienced this route by car and what we might expect at the border? Given the current circumstances of refugees etc.....I don't wish to spend several hours in border. Thanks for your help.

Aures99 wrote:

I moved from France to Hungary few months ago and I plan to spend 2 weeks holidays with my family in Croatia this summer 2016 (with car). We have 2 young kids and wonder if the border crossing would be too busy with huge queues in both sides. Does anyone know or experienced this route by car and what we might expect at the border? Given the current circumstances of refugees etc.....I don't wish to spend several hours in border. Thanks for your help.

Croatia is not Schengen so you'd have to queue up anyway.   But I think you won't have any trouble.  Not many people are going that way and it's highway on both sides (in Croatia, cash payments in local currency or Euro).

The one to avoid is Hungary-Serbia near Szeged during the Turkish annual migration from Germany which is basically German school holidays June/July/August.  Going into Serbia, it can be horrendous but via Croatia, I doubt it'll be a problem.  The Turkish need visas for Croatia as it's not in Schengen so their German residence permits are not valid as visas (I believe).  I think is not true of Serbia.  Going the other way it will be blocked up when they all migrate back.  Going through Slovenia is not such a good option for them as the motorway vignette there is outrageously expensive.

You can get border traffic info here: Croatia Highways Traffic

Many thanks Fluffy for your great feedback and very much appreciated. I shall look @ the link you sent. All the best to you.