Considering possible move to Kuwait, information required.

Hi all,

I was approached by a company for a possible transfer to Kuwait and since I never been there I will like to ask help for some basic information. The company offices are located at Sharq area and the proposed salary is 2600KWD + Housing allowance of 650KWD. The rest of the package benefits are similar to most expat packages (I think) and it includes:
- 1 free ticket to home country per year
- Medical cover (not certain of the coverage provided but I assume basic)
- Bonus based on performance (paid at the end of the year)

So my questions that will hep me make my decision are:
1) What areas around there can I stay at?
2) What are the prices ranges for a 1 or 2 bedroom apt (fully furnished if priced reasonably or semi-furnished). Any accommodation website links are welcomed :)
3) Is it possible to live in Kuwait with my partner if not married and if there are any restriction to specific nationalities obtaining a residency/visa?
4) What are the typical expenses for groceries (for 2 persons)?
5) What activities are available to expats (clubs etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Number 3 is the sticker.  Co-habitation is not allowed in this country.  Only married couples may live together.

You can find some activities for expats in this forum.  There are some other groups, as well.

Your salary and housing allowance are generous and you'll be able to live quite well on those.  Easily found using your search engine.

Housing costs depend on your location and whether furnished or not, but you'll have no problems finding a nice place within your allowance.

For groceries?  Depends on what you eat?  Lots of "western" food is available, but it's not terribly cheap. 

Good luck on your decision.

MisterStretch wrote:

Number 3 is the sticker.  Co-habitation is not allowed in this country.  Only married couples may live together.

You can find some activities for expats in this forum.  There are some other groups, as well.

Your salary and housing allowance are generous and you'll be able to live quite well on those.  Easily found using your search engine.

Housing costs depend on your location and whether furnished or not, but you'll have no problems finding a nice place within your allowance.

For groceries?  Depends on what you eat?  Lots of "western" food is available, but it's not terribly cheap. 

Good luck on your decision.

Hi MisterStretch,

Thanks for the quick reply, the sticky point 3 is officially 'applicable' also here in Bahrain but not enforced so I guess my question should be rephrased to whether a 'single' woman can obtain visa for Kuwait and whether the co-habitation is also enforced by the local authorities.

Well the eating habits will be very much so depend on whether the partner follows me to Kuwait, if yes mainly asian cuisine and foods otherwise normal western foods will suffice.

As for the housing, do you have any areas to suggest? (as I said the office are located in Sharq area, which as I understand is downtown?)

PS: I have seen many posts about shared accommodation and that was for non-same gender people so am I missing something there? :)

Thanks again

capriole,

The key point here is your partner nationality. Regardless of that she won't be able to get residency (based on what?) unless she finds a job for example. You certainly won't be able to sponsor her. You are mentioning Asian food so I can only assume she is of Asian origin, meaning that the chances of her being eligible for visa on arrival are also slim. So what kind of visa do you think she can obtain?

Hi Ribosom,

She is  Thai hence most likely the chances of visa on arrival are slim... so I guess she has to find a work to provide sponsorship if I can't do it or she will have to stay in Bahrain (she has residency here) or we get married! 

Any info on the other questions I have regarding possible areas to live etc?

Right, no visa on arrival for Thai citizens. However, you can get visa on arrival if you are a resident of any of the GCC country as she is provided your profession is one of the following: Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Teacher, Judge, Consultant, Members of Public Prosecution, University Teacher, Journalist, Press & Media Staff, Pilot, System Analyst, Pharmacist, Computer Programmer, Manager, Businessman, Diplomatic Corps, Owners, Managers & Representative of Commercial Companies & Establishments, University Graduate. Even then, she would be able to stay for a month at a time.
If not, your only option is to get married,

Regarding your other questions, Sharq is mostly business and financial centre, and the closest option for you would be Bneid Al Qar or Salmiya/Salwa which are a bit further away (but not more than 10-15 minutes by car.

I'm not that familiar with apartment prices in those areas, but for 500-600 KWD you should find plenty of options. Best way to find a place is to drive around the block and inquire at the building which you find desirable.

I live in Bneid al Gar and pay 1000kd for a two bedroom but I'm sure you could find something cheaper. Salmiya is about 15 mins away but with traffic it can be an hour. It is illegal for you and partner to live together but then again I know couples who do and somehow make it work but honestly I wouldn't risk it. Since no one's really answered your other two questions my husband and I typically spend around 40-50kd a week on groceries. For activities the only clubs here are gyms and they're quite pricey but there are plenty of malls, restaurants, coffee shops to keep you busy. If you're into a specific activity (book, running, etc.) you'll be able to find groups with like minded people.

I live and work in Sharq and have nice 2 BR fully furnished, serviced apartment for 700KD per month, all inclusive.  Service 3 times per week.   Quite a few apartment buildings in the Sharq area.

Thank you all for your replies.