FMM visitor permit

My wife and I are planning on moving to Mexico this summer she is Mexican natl I am US citizen don't think I meet requirements for perm res visa but can I just obtain a FMM (180 day) permit and renew semi annually in the U S. If so how many times can this be done?? Thanks

Yes, you can.  Many people do.  Forever unless Mexico changes the rules.

You do not need to meet any financial requirements when married to a Mexican National to get a 2 year residence visa called a Residente Temporal which can be renewed or after 2 years you can apply for a Residente Permanente all without meeting financial solvency. It can be done inside Mexico with a FMM tourist card.

So let me get right, because my wife is from Mexico we can move back there and I can either enter with a FMM permit or a temp resident visa good for 2 yrs without showing any proof of income correct

So let me get.this right, because my wife is from Mexico we can move back there and I can either enter with a FMM permit or a temp resident visa good for 2 yrs without showing any proof of income correct

Amost. You have to take the FMM to the Migration office (INM) along with your wife and the marriage certificate. Where were you married? In the US? If so you'll need to get the certificate apostatized. It would be best and less complicated if you went to the nearest Mexican Consulate and asked what documents you will need. Bottom line is that, yes, you can get a resident permit without qualifying with an income.

Yes we were wed in US back on Maui. Wow Free legal advice,when we get back to Mexico dinners on us!  Thanks again!

Troy
That's interesting. When my Mexican wife and I were in Merida last winter I was told that if married to a Mexican national there was no problem getting a temp.resident card and they didn't care what my income was. I have a temp. (2 year) resident card. It may have expired because i have not been in Mexico since last April. My point is that if you go to the right Embassy( Merida ) you should be able to get Temporary residency, married to a National.

Thank you sir. I'll be visiting the Austin consulate office Thurs and going find out. Would sure be nice if it was a simple process since plan on leaving US in July.  Thank you

Lonecowboy wrote:

Troy
That's interesting. When my Mexican wife and I were in Merida last winter I was told that if married to a Mexican national there was no problem getting a temp.resident card and they didn't care what my income was. I have a temp. (2 year) resident card. It may have expired because i have not been in Mexico since last April. My point is that if you go to the right Embassy( Merida ) you should be able to get Temporary residency, married to a National.

As far as I understand it there is no máximum time out of the country rule that would cancel a 2 year Residente Temporal visa/card. You just have to go into your local INM office in Mexico before it expires [maximum of 30 calender days, not before] to apply for another 2 year RT visa or apply for a Residente Permanente visa and fill out the forms and pay.

Thank you alleycat1
That's what I need ! More GOOD news !
I'm running into a view 'snags' over here in Ecuador.

Just got back from mex consulate in Austin yesterday to inquire about  what permit or visa to obtain before moving to Mexico. Spoke directly to the consulate which happened to be a friend of a friend of ours which helped expedite our wait!  He informed us just get the Tourist 180 day visa and upon arrival into Acuna for 24$ then renew at border in 6 months it's a lot easier than dealing with the temp or perm resident visa. He said we should later in one or two years do the temp/perm visa but for now the FMM 180 was the best route.