New Troubles

Hi

I have recently heard from 3 totallly different sources that trouble has not gone away from Sri Lanka but is brewing again underground and is about to erupt.
I am in no way a harbinger of doom, and am very sad to hear these rumours, one was from a Sri Lankan living here in New Zealand,....but we are planning to come and stay in Sri Lanka for possibly long term and we have children so this 'news' is something we need to consider and hopefully find it out to be bogus.
Any thoughts?

Hi!

Interesting thoughts..! Well, in my view, it's a much calm and a peaceful country than how it used to be… and now people are over keen to get on with their daily life with minimal fuss about any trivial matters... whilst economically and socially you may experience developments and the country's economy is beginning to thrive and tourism is definitely on an upward trend. I'm not too sure about the information you've received however, as a person living here in this lovely Island nation, I feel much safe and secure than how it once used to be..
Nonetheless, if you do have any specific concerns or queries do not hesitate, please feel to drop an email we can discuss. Till then, you have a lovely day ahead.
Cheers!

Laura

xx

Hi Laura
Thanks for your reply...especially since it is good news.  Have you lived in SL for long?
We are planning to come down there around March time with our three boys and chill out for awhile.....it's a mid-life crisis en masse!! :).....
We are planning on renting a small house, somewhere quiet, near a beach that is suitable for children and live cheap for a good long while.....any suggestions you may have would be great.
I have been thinking past Hikkaduwa way.....my husband may be working in Colombo after our initial few months total chill out and then I guess we will have to move closer in.......he may also be heading over seas for short periods of time....and I am wondering if being so far South, alone with children would be a sensible thing to do......would we be better to move closer to Colombo then?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Ellie.

Hi,

First of all I want to express my sincere thank to Laura for her standing. I believe she set a great example to people who are against to this country. Our people are inborn kind hearted people who are ready to help anyone at anytime. Please make your next visit a memorable one by choosing this paradise.

HI everyone..!!

I am Alejandro Rivera from México City, and I am considering to take an oportunitie to work for Sri Lankan airlines in the near future, Iam 48 and my wife is 46 we only have one son who is studying in Canada he is 21.
Could anybody give me some idea what to expect of living in Sri Lanka?!
Would appreciate it a lot..
Thank you in advance.

Hola Alejandro! Sri Lanka's a great place to live and you can expect it to be a pleasant stay. Just keep in mind that it's humid, rains a lot, the drainage is bad and results in some occassional flooding in the city. Not to discourage you or anything but just being honest. If you intend on driving yourself around keep in mind that vehicles are heavily taxed and gasoline is ridiculously expensive. But if you're coming on a company package it will be covered no doubt as Sri Lankan Airlines is one of the better employers out here. So I heard. Think of Juarez but less violent. That's Sri lanka in a nutshell. Yes there are soldiers on the roads, yes they do carry automatic weapons etc. But they are there for our safety. Colombo is a safe city and so is the rest of the country. We just need to make sure we dont stray into the rougher parts of town. There are lots of great dining opportunities, lots of Catholic churches, places of interest. things to keep you and your wife occupied when not working. Beaches as beautiful or even better than those shown in the tacky ads. So yeah, all in all, I'd say make the move. The internet however is slow. But they are improving.

I am coming to view properties around Galle, and hopefully buy a nice country place with a little land. I hear that after the terrible conflict in the North it has resulted in a calm and settled situation for the foreseeable future and that the economy, especially tourism, is about to blossom. I believe it will be very safe to visit or to settle and that is why I am visiting. It is a very beautiful Island and great people. I love the tropics and am very excited at the prospect to buy my little paradise. I just hope that prices have not rocketed before I get there! Happy New Year to all!
Keith.

Wish you the same and good luck!
Cheers!

Laura

xx

Prices on the southern and eastern coasts are getting to the 'preposterous' stage. Only good advice concerning property purchases I can give is that you not involve any third parties. Deal directly with the owner. That said, some owners engage the services of middle men who get a percentage from both buyer and seller. That's just how it works. There are also some reputed realtors who may be of help though I don't know whether they do work out of the capital.best of luck.

Hi Journey man,

what do you mena by preposterous prices? I have been looking on various sites e.g. lankaland, and the prices seem ridiculously cheap if anything - compared with prices in Spain and France. You can even buy beachfront properties cheaply.

Kind regards

Graham

Compared to anywhere in Europe the prices be they reasonable or as I claim 'preposterous' are in different leagues. As for the website you mentioned and others like it....all I can say is that I've had friends who regret ever having anything to do with such agents. Why?? Most often than not are the legal encumbrances accompanying the properties advertised. It is very rare that you get beach front property with clear titles for cheap. When they do go at what may be deemed 'reasonable' rates be aware that you should get the services of a good attorney to do a proper title search prior to purchase. Such a precaution will save you a lot of grief in the long run. Properties with titles that are beyond reproach go at premium prices. Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Many thanks for the advice. If I do decide to buy, it will be with much caution. Thanks once again.

Graham