Close

E-Residency Application Problem

Hi I'm James from the UK been living (not working here) on Gozo for 8 months now and have only just found out that I am obligated to get an e res card according to a post I read on here? I have been to the police station and told them I have been staying here and do I need an extension or something else to stay here?  They told me no, as an EU citizen I can stay here as long as I like. Also went to the e res office in Victoria and they conversely told me to get my e res card asap....

So I am not sure what to do, as far as I can see getting one of these cards won't benefit me or the state at all as I don't work here, have my own health insurance etc and I'm paying rent and other expenses into the system.... I read that it is for taxation purposes but that is irrelevant to me as I don't work here :S any advice or help on what I should do would be great and if the advice is to apply should I state that I have been here well over 3 months or not? (Would rather not be fined or whatever the penalty may be!)

Whilst under EU law you are entitled to freedom of movement within the community, in Malta it is a requirement that you register your intention to be resident here and this is done via the eResidence card system. You are required to do this if you stay longer than 3 months. I am not sure if the authorities would worry about how long you have actually been here but you never know as different officials will have different interpretations of the rules on this.

You also need to register for tax purposes, the ID number on your eResidence card is used as your Tax number. You pay tax on all monies remitted to, or earned in, Malta over your personal tax allowance, (other than money from capital). There is a dual taxation agreement in place which allows you to offset tax already paid on that money in the UK. You are obliged to file an annual tax return regardless of your circumstances.

Ray

Thanks a lot Ray  :)

it all seems rather beurocratic to me tbh....why register to pay tax when your not going to be paying it....mine is already paid by my providers in the UK ...i transfer "housekeeping" finances every month into my Maltese bank....the tax autorities over here are not going to tax me again are they

mdillyd :

it all seems rather beurocratic to me tbh....why register to pay tax when your not going to be paying it....mine is already paid by my providers in the UK ...i transfer "housekeeping" finances every month into my Maltese bank....the tax autorities over here are not going to tax me again are they

Because its the correct thing to do!
Starting to pick  and choose what rules to follow in your host country is showing contempt for the country and the people in the country that are following the rules.

As to whether or not you need to pay tax that will depend on the amount you transfer for " housekeeping " but the fact is as a resident you must register for tax and inform them of your income and the amount you transfer to Malta.

Terry

mdillyd :

You chose to come and live here in Malta and in return all that Malta asks is that you follow the rules!

Simple really!

Ray

Okay I understand what you are saying and thats fair enough ...but no matter what I transfer over surely as its been taxed once in the UK they are not going to tax it again due to the double taxation rules ??

mdillyd :

Okay I understand what you are saying and thats fair enough ...but no matter what I transfer over surely as its been taxed once in the UK they are not going to tax it again due to the double taxation rules ??

Probably not, but unless you send in a return they have no idea what you are doing and they need details to have the information they need if they want to check with the UK that tax has actually been paid and may well want to see things like P60's

Ray

P60's Ha ha ...havent seen those for years lol....I get your drift though and will find out where I have to go and who I need to speak to one day next week....but this being retired malarky Im quite hectic and dont have much free time

mdillyd :

P60's Ha ha ...havent seen those for years lol....I get your drift though and will find out where I have to go and who I need to speak to one day next week....but this being retired malarky Im quite hectic and dont have much free time

We get a P60 for our small private pension still, every year.

not sure its showing contempt Terry rather more like copying what is already being done by the majority of landlords over here in not declaring rental from property as income and keeping unsuspecting new arrivals on the highest utility rate of the rediculas two tier utility system all so they can make a fast buck

Its a very sweeping statement regarding landlords, we have had three landlords and only one required cash and didn't give a receipt.

So just because someone else breaks the law its OK for everyone?

Never understood that philosophy. 

Terry

no i never understood that philosphy either Terry....but nevertheless there aee more people over here doging paying tax than we probably know...but have no fear i for one will go and pay my dues like a good expat that i am ...

Both our landlords have acted totally professionally. Both have issued receipts for the rent, taken the forms to ARMS on our behalf and passed the original utility bills to us for us to pay.

Ray

Hi,  ***Since you are EU based there is no need to get a residence card, however if you want to establish long-term residency it is advisable so that you can get some benefits such when you apply to govt services etc you are treated as a local. However there is no fine in not registering. ***

Moderated by Priscilla last year
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed - please register in the business directory
adrscib :

Since you are EU based there is no need to get a residence card,

This is an extract of the requirements if you wish to reside in Malta and any thing over 3 months is considered residing here.

'A European Union citizen has the right to enter, remain and reside in Malta, however when an individual intends to reside in Malta for a period longer than three (3) months, he is obliged to apply for an e-Residence card with the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs'.

You are also 'obliged' to file a tax return!

Ray

Yes, you are right, maybe I am not that up to date however there is not really any fine for not registering, as far as I know.

There is of course a "moral" obligation to follow the law, something that Malta ( along with enforcement) sadly seems to lack.

Terry

adrscib :

Yes, you are right, maybe I am not that up to date however there is not really any fine for not registering, as far as I know.

Perhaps if you are trying to advertise professional services you need to be up to date!

Ray
:)

Even as EU national you have to register in the EU country where you live. In other countries you only get a piece of paper as confirmation (against a administration fee), in Malta you receive a nice plastic card (free of charge)  :)
Within the EU you are only allowed to have one principal residence, but several secondary registered residences. This is not only for tax reasons, but also for driving license, registration for EU elections, unemployment benefits, disability pension and many more ...

btw, as long as I am here, I had 3 police controls when driving my car. In 2 of them the officer only asks for my ID card, not for my driving license  :)

matm911 :

Within the EU you are only allowed to have one principal residence, but several secondary registered residences.

Does anyone know if you can register for said "nice plastic card" in Malta if Malta's only your secondary residence? This would be the case for me, as I'm only going to stay for 3 months and my principal residence will continue to be Austria (as I'm self employed there, and because of other reasons)

Maybe in a year's time, then, we might move to Malta for good, but not yet...

Bernie

bernie_iris_fabian_david :
matm911 :

Within the EU you are only allowed to have one principal residence, but several secondary registered residences.

Does anyone know if you can register for said "nice plastic card" in Malta if Malta's only your secondary residence? This would be the case for me, as I'm only going to stay for 3 months and my principal residence will continue to be Austria (as I'm self employed there, and because of other reasons)

Maybe in a year's time, then, we might move to Malta for good, but not yet...

Bernie

You might find you could apply for your eResidence card if you say you will be here longer than 3 months, the main problem occurs if you are not keeping the same address each time you come and stay, as you would have to change your card each time and this I think would be more trouble than it is worth.
It only took three weeks for our change of address but I know some which took more than 2 months!
In Gozo some were also charged €22 per person for this, in error, and 10 months later are still waiting for the promised refund.

Ray

Thanks for that, Ray.

Bernie

it is impossible... due to 'issues' Identity Malta had last summer with third country nationals, rules are being constantly changed every month ... but now there is normality once again.

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy stress-free travel to Malta

Flights to Malta

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Malta