New Expat

Hey everyone! My names Chloe.. I'm considering moving to China but I just need a bit more information, if anyone has previously lived in the UK and are now living in China please message I'd love to know a bit more about your experience :)

Hi Chloe, I am originally from London and have been living and working in China since 1998.

How can I help?

Hi my name is Alan.

I am from the USA

I have been here for 8 years, so I know a little. Never know it all lol

I am near Shanghai

If I can help let me know

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : please post in the jobs section

Hi Chloe

Just seen your post: it depends on which part you want to live in, what salary you're looking for if applicable, what you want to do and perhaps most importantly why you want to come! DON'T come just to hang out with expats! The Chinese are the most welcoming people in the world and you would be missing out!

If you've never been I suggest a short internship or English teaching working holiday to find out for yourself if you really want to come! You'll love it if you're:
Open to change, flexible, patient and a calm person. Patience is the ultimate virtue!

You'll hate it if you're:
Only looking to join an expat community, a creature of habit, xenophobic or intolerant!

Good luck!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Freddy788 is absolutely correct.

Don't even bother coming to China unless you are willing to adapt to the Chinese way of life. If you plan on hanging around expat you will not get a real experience. It's a BIG mistake that most expats make.

I've been living here for around 15 years. I am from the States.

https://tse4-mm.cn.bing.net/th?id=OIP.YzdcVSpFp-5vD8xNjF45DQHaE8&pid=Api

Are you a single female?  Well, expect to have a pretty lean dating experience here. That is unless you are willing to adapt to a completely different culture with different female roles.... Just saying. Men are very traditional here. Are you ready for that? Being honest here. Go ahead, ask other female expats about the dating scene for females in China. Do you like traditional men, where you are expected to fit within a traditional role? How is your cooking? Are you able to keep the house clean and starch and iron shirts for your boyfriend? Don't even bother buying a plane ticket unless you are ready to adapt.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.P_SRM8G2AIYf1aJZM5XJ5gHaE7&pid=Api

The UK expats that I know of are uniformly upset with the way that contracts are ignored in China. Ah, don't get too bent out of shape. It's just the idea of "flexible guidelines". That is by far the biggest issue with my UK friends. They just can't get a grasp of the lack of "English common law". As we say in the USA, adapt or die.

Or, when in Rome... do as the Romans do.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.HF_QSr60nN1FrbL5kXRdXAHaEo&pid=Api

China can be a most rewarding experience for those who are open, friendly, outgoing and willing to WORK. Because, dear, China is a nation of nerds. You won't slide by here will "passing grades". China plays by their own rules here. You will need to step up your game if you want to thrive. Just saying.

An attractive young female that teaches English can make a lot of money and be very successful here. In China, face is everything. If you are smart, but do not take care of your appearance, you will be perceived as a "white water buffalo", which is slang for a big fat Western woman. I am sorry for being so blunt, but that is just the way it is.

https://tse2-mm.cn.bing.net/th?id=OIP.-m6ho3sAaerjbkks3qHj_QHaFI&pid=Api

Best Regards and best of luck.

As one might expect, there is massive difference of culture. Even their mobile apps that support english follow a different intuitive design that us westerners aren't familiar with.
Get a vpn that works in mainland China before going there.vpnchina
Took me 30 minutes to setup WeChat coming from years of WhatsApp.

The first month I regretted moving to CN but after some more time has passed, i'm happy here.

HI , I have been to UK , so I know fish and chips and the water, I recommend Shanghai better for you than Beijing . I will be here, have seen 13 years of China, if I can help, or if you have any more interesting questions.

Well, I hope that you have made your mind up. Your solution is KuMing in the Southern section of China. Enjoy,