Business etiquette in Saudi Arabia

Hello everybody,

As you know, professional habits may differ from one country to another. In order to help newly arrived expats better understand their new professional environment in Saudi Arabia, we warmly encourage you to share information and insights about the do's and don'ts in the workplace.

For instance, are there office manners? How do you greet your co-workers? Do you greet your management differently? Is there a dress code? Particular rules to observe? Maybe a professional body language?

On another level, what is key for a successful professional meeting? Are there any steps to follow? How do you a start a negotiation?

In other words, what are the most important things to know for a successful professional integration in Saudi Arabia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Julien

In an Arab owned company, if you smoke and drink coffee then all are your shabaabs!!

:lol:

Hello Julien,

Hope all is well,
I am a cross cultural coach and trainer , If you want i could help you out will all the questions you might have in order to facilitate your work integration in Saoudi,

Please feel free to contact me,

Have a great day,
Florence

Hi Florence,

Julien is the founder of this site and to share as much as possible useful information about expat life, he create now and then new topics, such as this one,  to exchange the local experiences

If you have knowledge about this topic, please feel free to share on this thread so everyone can have the benefits of it,  specially for those who are new into the Arabic work and not knowing what to expect from the locals.

If you want to register your business or knowledge, you can go to the business directory above the page or use the contact forum down the page for more information.

Hello , Indeed i figure this out ! thanks for the info .. i will be more than happy  to answer the questions above and more if needed, will do asap something more in details ..
Thanks again !

That's a very good topic @Julien. Thanks for raising it.

I am not an Arab but most of the experience under my belt (15+ years) is from this country.

There is much running in my head at the moment and I literally can't sort out how to write it down. I'll try to summarize a few important pointers that may guide other fellows.

An Overview

1- Like other Arab countries, the Muslim faith plays a great role in professional ethics. If you come from a different culture, make sure you steer clear of offending anyone on faith.

2- Somehow related to the above point hypothetically, the org structures are very vertical rather than horizontal where the powers and authority flows down the hierarchy on each distribution node. I know this happens in the rest of the world as well, but do consider the intensity of authority and the powers to override almost everything by a single executive on high ends.

3- Most leader (and managers) like to separate themselves from the rest. If you think your organization has an open-door policy, give it a second thought.

4- Just to emphasize the above point: there is a large power distance index (PDI) factor of 80.

5-  The analyst ranked KSA having high Uncertainty Avoidance Index (UAI) ranking of 68. What does it mean: strict rules, laws, policies, and regulations are adopted and implemented.

6- Because of the high UAI,  it's usually hard for the workplace to accept changes. If you are a strategist like me who have to bring about change all the time, you must be very well at many different things.

At the Workplace:

1- Apply 80/20 rule everywhere. For example, 80% of the time focus on the things that yield most results for your management - though they might be just 20% of what you actually do.

2- Cover your bare shoulders, stomach, calves and thighs in the workplace.

3-  All business meeting will require you to have a jacket and a tie.

4- Safe dressing for men: long pants and a long-sleeved shirt (preferably), buttoned up to the collar. Avoid wearing visible jewelry. Tatoos? out of the question! For ladies: as modest dressing as possible.

5- At meetings, the person who asks the most questions is likely to be the least important. The decision maker is usually the one whose presence (through his body language) is THE strongest but have been a silent observer throughout.

6- They love to benchmark themselves with the west. Bring examples and case studies from there if applies.

7- People in management predominantly understand that there is nothing as a free meal. Although gifts must not be turned down based on the culture, double check before you offer a gift to a senior.

Hope this helps.

Great one champ...you nailed it.

Other thing too add is becoming too friendly with the locals, some are old fashioned and do not discuss their social life, this tip is for people coming from the west. Most Saudis will not talk about their weekend activities, it is good to be a listener rather than throwing out questions.

.Good forum!

......I understand it is very rude not to exchange lengthy pleasantries about family first etc.

Dress observances are crucial. Saudi follows  is strict Islamic Conservative Wahabism under the wise leadership of King Salman, which is an Absolute Monarchy.

Wikipedia does a good historical narrative.

I think it also maybe good form to have something nice and positive to say about any current situation.

Sycophancy is the order of the day.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

That's a very good topic @Julien. Thanks for raising it.

I am not an Arab but most of the experience under my belt (15+ years) is from this country.

There is much running in my head at the moment and I literally can't sort out how to write it down. I'll try to summarize a few important pointers that may guide other fellows.

An Overview

1- Like other Arab countries, the Muslim faith plays a great role in professional ethics. If you come from a different culture, make sure you steer clear of offending anyone on faith.

2- Somehow related to the above point hypothetically, the org structures are very vertical rather than horizontal where the powers and authority flows down the hierarchy on each distribution node. I know this happens in the rest of the world as well, but do consider the intensity of authority and the powers to override almost everything by a single executive on high ends.

3- Most leader (and managers) like to separate themselves from the rest. If you think your organization has an open-door policy, give it a second thought.

4- Just to emphasize the above point: there is a large power distance index (PDI) factor of 80.

5-  The analyst ranked KSA having high Uncertainty Avoidance Index (UAI) ranking of 68. What does it mean: strict rules, laws, policies, and regulations are adopted and implemented.

6- Because of the high UAI,  it's usually hard for the workplace to accept changes. If you are a strategist like me who have to bring about change all the time, you must be very well at many different things.

At the Workplace:

1- Apply 80/20 rule everywhere. For example, 80% of the time focus on the things that yield most results for your management - though they might be just 20% of what you actually do.

2- Cover your bare shoulders, stomach, calves and thighs in the workplace.

3-  All business meeting will require you to have a jacket and a tie.

4- Safe dressing for men: long pants and a long-sleeved shirt (preferably), buttoned up to the collar. Avoid wearing visible jewelry. Tatoos? out of the question! For ladies: as modest dressing as possible.

5- At meetings, the person who asks the most questions is likely to be the least important. The decision maker is usually the one whose presence (through his body language) is THE strongest but have been a silent observer throughout.

6- They love to benchmark themselves with the west. Bring examples and case studies from there if applies.

7- People in management predominantly understand that there is nothing as a free meal. Although gifts must not be turned down based on the culture, double check before you offer a gift to a senior.

Hope this helps.

:one

Hi Everyone,
Love the topic and the posts! Great idea and so far everything is spot on that I have experienced. I also have found never refuse the offered coffee if it is offered. Did that once, and never again. Was an awkward social faux pas. If you don't drink coffee look for the secondary water that follows.
Personally I have found the occasional invitation to a dinner at a restaurant not a bad thing. I know some people don't socialize with Saudis but I've found if they invite you out for a dinner, it's not a trip to Dubai...it's just dinner. If you are not feeling comfortable but don't want to offend, try the buddy system. Ask if you can bring a friend, which is never generally refused in my experience, and then you and your friend have something to talk about.
But hey this is just my experience here after 18 months and counting. So far, not too bad.
Again great topic. And keep dressing sharp and professional.
Dress to impress goes further here than most countries.
Canadian_Timmy

Note on wearing bling and gold. If you want to score points, in fashion, hit up the accessories as a man. Cuff links and tie clips to start. I've been paying attention to what some of the other men wear and that's where it's at. Subtle, but stylish.
I was told that culturally men here just don't wear any form of jewelry. Is this true? why? Why are there tons of shops for men and a whole fashion industry for them and shiny things?
I just like to know where cultural norms come from when I'm in country.
Was in Korea for a long time and things made a lot more sense AFTER I understood the why of it all.

Hi Julien,

We have been here three years and have learned that the business rules vary greatly based on the company and the location. 

It is normal in parts of this country to employ a significant number of expats from all over the world, and normal for the Saudis to be educated in a Western Country.  So integration is not as hard or as complicated as you might think. 

We found that searching the internet and reading books prior to coming was very confusing because there is so much conflicting information available. 

Friends that took cultural training prior to coming here - don't recommend that either because it scared them instead of helping them form their own opinions.  Other friends took the training after being here a few months and found it helpful at that point. 

Being respectful of the dress code mentioned above, having an open mind, and being genuinely interested in the people and the culture - naturally opens doors to ask questions, to form friendships and to have meaningful discussions. 

Common business challenges:  Unclear processes, inconsistency, lack of accountability.

Good points Canada Tim.
The coffee and social pleasantries is I understand very important and it is very bad form to - especially if the visitor - to dictate the conversation to business immediately.

Interesting point on the dress where westerners may be inclined to wear a short sleaved shirt and no tie due to the heat - and maybe even shorts!!! probably a big no-no!!

Aboot the buddy system, spot on.

Men do wear the occasional bling, but it has to be platinum or silver, cannot be gold due to religious reasons.

hamudi wrote:

Men do wear the occasional bling, but it has to be platinum or silver, cannot be gold due to religious reasons.

Not wearing gold for Muslims due religions reasons, I know.
But applies this also for non Muslims?
Is it so strict business wise?

Once in Saudi, do the Saudi  :lol:

Primadonna wrote:
hamudi wrote:

Not wearing gold for Muslims due religions reasons, I know.
But applies this also for non Muslims?
Is it so strict business wise?

doesn't apply to non muslims, better to avoid wearing it.