Business etiquette in Puerto Rico

Hello everybody,

As you know, professional habits may differ from one country to another. In order to help newly arrived expats better understand their new professional environment in Puerto Rico, we warmly encourage you to share information and insights about the do's and don'ts in the workplace.

For instance, are there office manners? How do you greet your co-workers? Do you greet your management differently? Is there a dress code? Particular rules to observe? Maybe a professional body language?

On another level, what is key for a successful professional meeting? Are there any steps to follow? How do you a start a negotiation?

In other words, what are the most important things to know for a successful professional integration in Puerto Rico?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Julien

Hi Julian,
I actually do this kind of training for all assignees from the big pharmas arriving in PR. I have a great 90 minute presentation.  PM me if you are interested. we can talk.

Hi We're moving WHERE?,

Since you are familiar to this topic maybe you could provide some infos, this will benefit members.

P.S This is a general topic launched by the EXpat.Com Team to gather a maximum infos to guide members.

All the best,
Bhavna

I can give you one advise be willing to embrace and appreciate diversity.
Puerto Rican people in general are very friendly and helpful people.
1.- They will try to talk to you, give cooking tips, info  on sales etc right in the groceries store. ( I love that! )
2.- Please learn this 3 words Buen Provecho and Gracias very important.
When you are a the restaurant any person coming in or going  out will see you eating and  they will wish you Buen Provecho you respond very graciously gracias ( the v en provecho is pronounced like a b)
Oops I gave you 2
Enjoy your stay in PR

Puertoricans are very friendly and will help you when you ask. Your neighbors will be your best watch dogs, befriend them and you will have some one you can really on.

I totally agree with Pitorro and Adlin's advise. We have been her for almost 2 years and love it.  We are fortunate that we are both Puerto Rican and speak Spanish but if you just try, people will like that.  Definitely say Buen Provecho and Gracias always. 

It came as sort of a surprise when we came here to hear Buen Provecho since it is not usually said in NY, where I grew up.  People do appreciate it and that is a real ice breaker when getting something to eat even in these road side cafes. Another good phrase is Buenos Dias and Buenas Noches.

Welcome to Puerto Rico.

Tonie

A very important one is " una cerveza por favor" (a beer please).

:cool:

That is for sure. I forgot about that one. 😆

That is for sure. I forgot about that one. 😆

Buen Provecho, so that means they are wishing your well or blessings?

Means literarily that the meal settle well with you.
Or Enjoy your meal in other words.

Thank you, Rey, in other words it really is only said at meals or restaurants.  ;)

No you say it any time a meal is being consumed or they are sitting down to start eating, at home, at a beach,restaurant, etc.

Even for a snack. When you hand somebody a plate of something to eat or even a cookie, they will typically say Gracias, and your response would then be Buen Provecho.

When you have people sit at a table in your house, and they are ready to dig in, you say Been Provecho as they are sitting down, and they would then compliment the taste or aroma and you will then say Gracias.

You are basically wishing them that they enjoy their meal or snack (no stomach ache, settles well with them) in any setting. So think along the lines of "Enjoy your meal".

Bon Appetit!