Business etiquette in New Zealand

Hello everybody,

As you know, professional habits may differ from one country to another. In order to help newly arrived expats better understand their new professional environment in New Zealand, we warmly encourage you to share information and insights about the do's and don'ts in the workplace.

For instance, are there office manners? How do you greet your co-workers? Do you greet your management differently? Is there a dress code? Particular rules to observe? Maybe a professional body language?

On another level, what is key for a successful professional meeting? Are there any steps to follow? How do you a start a negotiation?

In other words, what are the most important things to know for a successful professional integration in New Zealand?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Julien

Hi,
I am an American expat  and have been living in Wellington, NZ for the past 10 years and working in a professional office environment since 2 weeks after I moved here. I can only attest to my observations and experience and will attempt to answer some of the questions. Here goes:
Are there office manners?
There are office manners. I have found that offices are very much friendly and casual but there is a lot of hierarchy and you can tend to get further along in your role and offered more opportunities if people like you so it's very important to maintain good relationships with people here because if someone doesn't like you it doesn't matter if you are capable, you generally wont be able to move up in the chain.
How do you greet your co-workers?
I always come in and say "good morning" in a cheerful way and if people seem open to conversation at that point, I will go further and ask how their weekend was and make small talk etc..
What are the most important things to know for a successful professional integration?
  I think it's important to respect people's positions and not to challenge anyone's authority here. It is also good to communicate in a nice and causal non aggressive way.
Do you greet your management differently?
I might be a little more formal with management depending on how they like to be treated. I also might get to the point a little faster.
Is there a dress code?
I find the dress code in NZ offices too casual!
[b]Particular rules to observe?

I always look to see how people preferred to be approached .
a professional body language?
If people are wearing headphones I generally take that as a signal they don't want to be approached
[b]On another level, what is key for a successful professional meeting?
A key to a professional meeting is to know your topic and be structured with what you want to achieve and to  make sure that you get everyone's input and really listed and share ideas and opinions
[b]Are there any steps to follow?
Steps vary depending on the nature of work. I would say 1. be prepared 2. be open to other viewpoints 3. know how to take successful action to get desirable outcomes for everyone
[b]How do you a start a negotiation? I start negotiations by sharing my thought and getting feedback then offering facts to back up what I am trying to achieve and also again, by being open to other ideas and opinions to come to a mutually desired outcome.