Moving to Uruguay

My husband and I are looking to make a new home in Uruguay from mid 2009. I am in a wheelchair and we are both in our early fifties. Any contact with English speakers living in the area would be appreciated. We would love to know more about the country and the experience of other expats living there.

We live in the Dominican Republic at the moment and being a third world country it is a huge culture shock from England. We have also spent a couple of years in Spain and we are trying to improve our Spanish(Latin American) which is rather limited, but we get by.

Any info on the Punte del Este area would be really good as that is an area that we feel may suit us.

Look forward to your response.

This tip is highly recommended if you like living in a busy city in summer and a quiet place in winter. The winter is colder than in Montevideo and is a very windy area. If you can bear to live in a small town (in all services), but almost deserted in winter and has the money to buy an apartment, it can be very costly, Punta del Este is a good option.

Hi. We plan to move to Uruguay next Spring. We're considering Mercedes and would like to know more. I plan to visit before we make the move. Can anyone tell me more about Mercedes? I do speak some Spanish but am not fluent. Thanks.

I live in Punta Del Este now.  I love the European style of life...peaceful in winter and exciting in Summer.  No traffic lights in winter!  I moved here from California five years ago and love it.  ADA access has come a long access since I've been here and they are continuing to make improvements. Please contact me with any direct questions or additional information you may have.  Best of luck...you will both fall in love for sure!!!

Hi Himandher,
Like you, many expats who have made the move to less developed countries and find it hard to adjust end up moving to the Punta del Este area.

As Uruandy states above, the life-style is indeed European, although with various differences, of course. Punta del Este is not 100% Uruguay, because of itŽs predominantly foreign population led by Argentines and including people from all over the world. Being in the "new world", Europeans will notices less emphasis on tradition, which can be refreshing in a way, or unnerving in others, that is for each person to decide.

Regarding wheelchair access, we lag when compared to first-world countries, but I can report that the subject has gained the awareness and action of local governments, so things have been improving steadily since not too long ago and are bound to gain pace.

Regarding the price of housing, mentioned by residenceuruguay, well, thereŽs is a very broad range, depending on location and type of home. For many foreigners who donŽt care what area is "in vogue," there are many good deals to be had in land, houses or apartments. Often, expats with a good eye for capital appreciation decide to invest in real-estate, beyond their housing needs, but that should be left for when one really understands the place.

The winters are indeed quiet, but not from a social standpoint, as the growing number of year-round residents keep things busy, from cultural events to simply gatherings of English speakers at various places.

See our blog for a picture of what life entails in Punta del Este, and what kinds of people make their home here.