Business etiquette in Argentina

Hello everybody,

As you know, professional habits may differ from one country to another. In order to help newly arrived expats better understand their new professional environment in Argentina, we warmly encourage you to share information and insights about the do's and don'ts in the workplace.

For instance, are there office manners? How do you greet your co-workers? Do you greet your management differently? Is there a dress code? Particular rules to observe? Maybe a professional body language?

On another level, what is key for a successful professional meeting? Are there any steps to follow? How do you a start a negotiation?

In other words, what are the most important things to know for a successful professional integration in Argentina?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Julien

Hi,

You might find men and women leaning forward to greet you with a kiss on the cheek, which may seem like an odd custom at first, especially in a professional setting.

They're very fond of drinking mate in a mate cup with a metal straw. They often make one and share with everyone. I don't personally recommend it because you run the risk of contracting oral herpes. They call them fuegitos (mini-fires) but it's oral herpes. This one's a tough one because I've often rejected a mate cup when it was offered to me and you can tell they've been offended. But at the end of the day you have to think about your overall health, not the other person's feelings.

Also, as far as looking for work is concerned things like gender and age discrimination are not illegal when hiring people. So while it may seem really odd to us, you just kind of have to go with the flow.