Filing taxes in Germany and Israel and USA for 2015 for small wages

How do I file taxes for 2015 when I lived and worked here only three months as a self-employed?

I lived in Israel for three years, partially self employed and underemployed and I know I must file there.

As an American I also have to file.

Anyone know an account or tax person familiar with filing in three different countries for the same year
when the annual income is less than $15,000 but had to take some early withdrawal from pension?

Do I have to pay tax in three different countries, essentially three times?
(Israel taxes were taken out of my partial self-employed-- so I guess that is one down), Germany I have only received
Honorar as a teacher and trainer self-employed since Oct. 2015.

Can anyone advise or recommend tax person that knows expat tax actions?

Thank you

German tax regulations are extremely complex - and adding any international aspect makes it even more so.
Good tax advisers with international experience and knowledge are rare. I doubt that you can find one who can file in all three countries (although big Expat service agencies like Mercer might be able to help you here). You may opt to have three separate advisers (who communicate with each other as needed).
If you find a good one for Germany, please feel free to recommend him/her on this forum, so others can benefit from it too.

Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. I have written about this subject on other posts. Please read through them first and contact me if you have further questions!  :O) … rmany.html … 53#3193974 … 96#3026729 … 38#2383371

This is an interesting case, since your annual income was low for that year.
The challenge that you'll probably have is that the fee from tax consultants might wipe out any benefit from the tax savings that can be realized.

Of course professional advice is always the preferred choice - but not everybody can afford such luxury of 3 Tax consultants or one that is exceptionally good in all three Tax laws.

Four (4) thoughts came to mind that you'll have to answer anyway for yourself or your tax consultant :

1) The duration of work in each of the countries
2) your main place of stay (which country you spend time also including free time)
3) in which country you have earned the largest portion of your income (ie where were most money paid into a personal bank account)
4) was this a once-off or will this be status quo for the foreseeable future

In Tom's list above there is a member in this forum that provides tax consultation.
Consider asking him/ or others for price capped consultation price estimate on what you should as next steps do *before* handing over all paper work.
Based on that estimate you'll get a feeling  of the magnitude.
Clearly separate the actual tax work from getting an opinion on what to do next.
Of course some tax advisors  will tell you it is impossible to propose anything until they have full details and have filled in all forms. Scrap those advisors quickly from your list.

Having some details like here-above clearly listed will make also efficient use of the tax consultant's time. In this case efficient use of their time is of utmost importance since they're also bound by the relative fee that they are allowed to charge (and they're not allowed to charge even lower than the minimum) :
For example in Germany  according to law,  a honorarium for Tax Consultants are given : … gesamt.pdf

So for 16k€ yearly income a tax advisor might charge you a max of 594€ for tax consultation (whereas the first advice is capped to a max of 190€ and a minimum of 19€ (in bandwidth from 1/10-10/10 with norm given at 55% =105€ ). And this is the simplest case of tax only in Germany.

So consider to at least have professional support from a tax consultant in that country where you earned the most.

I also strongly recommend you have a professional do your taxes in Germany for at least the first year. For someone with some business or accounting aptitude, it is not so difficult to then copy what they did for the following with a program like Taxman or to just organize things in an Excel document, properly categorizing income and expenses. The links I posted have more details but the conclusion is that yes, one has to file every year to all of the countries but if done properly, you will NOT have to pay the taxes doubled on a low income.  :)   I’ve heard that  many overseas Americans with small businesses are giving up their citizenship. They file properly and don’t have to pay extra taxes but the whole book keeping and filing for all of the countries is too expensive.  :sosad:

New topic