Applying for Schengen visa on SA passport?

Hi

I live and work in Mauritius (have residence as per Occupational Permit) and need to apply for a Schengen visa for a business trip to Germany in early May. I am having a lot of problems trying to get this done - has any other South African expat been through the process or is there anyone who can offer insight?

Thanks!

What exactly are the problems you are facing?
Did you submit a visa application with all the required information and documents to the German embassy? What was the result?

The Germany Embassy in Mauritius said that they only process visa applications for Mauritian passport holders and that I need to return to SA in order to apply for the visa.

Well, then you have to apply for the visa in South Africa.

No thats rubbish. I lived in the UK and applied for Schengen VISA many time from the german embassy in UK with my SA passport. Unless something changed in the last 2 years...
Go to an agent or write an email to the embassy.

ramkami007 wrote:

No thats rubbish. I lived in the UK and applied for Schengen VISA many time from the german embassy in UK with my SA passport. Unless something changed in the last 2 years...
Go to an agent or write an email to the embassy.

No it is not rubbish.  Please learn what you are talking about before you make such statements.  The UK is not Mauritius, so your experience is not comparable.  Furthermore, the OP mentioned he already contacted the embassy. 

If you refer to this link to the Honorary German Consul in Goodlands, you'll find it says, "Mauritian citizens can travel to Schengen countries visa-free for a period of 90 days within 180 days. Applications from third-country nationals residing in Mauritius will be processed by the German Embassy Pretoria. Please contact the Embassy for further arrangements"

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team