Insure my UK motorhome in Romania

Hi everyone!

We are moving to Romania in a few months and want to bring our motorhome with us. Re registering it in Romania seems to be very expensive. Does anyone know if I can keep it on UK plates but use a Romanian insurance company? My UK insurance wont let me have it out of the UK for more than 2 months since I am not going to be UK resident.

Complicated question I know but we love our camper so much!

Thanks

Fiona, if you want/need to insure it with Romanian insurance, it has to be registered in Romania.  Otherwise, lots of people like you, would be bringing cars here and avoiding the pollution or first registration tax. 

Keep in mind though that if you're patient enough, you can recover this expense from the government, or even be exempted from it if you petition the police to do so.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks romaniac that's what I thought we will just have to work out which to go for.

Dear UK,

I know your post was a long time ago, so I hope you have resolved your situation
since then.

Being from the States, I, too, am interested in setting up a motor home or a pop-up
trailer in the Brasov area with some friends my wife and I have there.

My question is this:  do you know where I could buy a motor-home or pop-up trailer
in Romania?

Any suggestions would be  appreciated. 

Thank you.

robert & aurora

Hi

I'm afraid it isn't good news from us. We never managed and instead just moved to Bucharest. We are back in the UK but sorry can't advise.

Good luck your plan sounds great.

Fiona &Oran