I'm ready to bug out to Ricon. Like now...

Hello everyone. I have been researching this a great deal and am looking to relocate to Ricon.

I'm self employed with a steady income that allows a comfortable lifestyle for myself.

In the last few years life has been beating me down to a pulp. I now reside in Chicago and hate it.

I suffer from PTSD anxiety and depression. I feel it is just going to get worse.

I'm 42. I guess this is my midlife crisis. I am interested in living slow. I am in search of peace within myself.

My plan is simple. Pair my world down to what I can carry and hoping a flight to the west coast of PR.

I think I may easily be able to bridge my psychiatrist so I can stay on my meds etc. I found a well reviewed Dr. there already through google.

I am an out going and resourceful person and plan on doing all my business in cash and networking with others to find my home sweet home on the island.

I need nothing more than my phone and internet for my business.

Can I simply stroll into town in the morning and have a safe place to rest my head that night?

Honestly if I don't escape thus rat race I fear I'll crack. Any advice or help would be awesome.

Thanks

Come on down!

Can I simply stroll into town in the morning and have a safe place to rest my head that night?

YES you can. Sounds like you are ready for the change. Good luck!!

Are there any specific questions you have?
Several of our members live in Rincon and can help you a lot more than I can.

Rincon is awesome.. sure you'll have all that and more!

Good day .I live in Rincon as well and love it here. People are wonderful here and I speak English only and feel very comfortable being here .I do strongly suggest to please rent first.  We have lived in 3 places so far in Puerto Rico. 
Please pm me if you want to chat off here
I can give you my text #
My husband is a 100% disabled veteran and also has ptsd along with a lot of of health issues

Welcome, the folks here are very helpful.  I'm on the north coast in Hatillo.  If you get to my area, look me up and say hi.

Welcome, have you visited PR before? What type of business are you going to set up?  I wish you all the best in your endeavors :)

Come on down. I'm you, minus a decade or so. Self employed, needing more and more money to live back home, winter blues, generally not happy with where I'm at. Why be self employed if you can't enjoy it, right?

So we made the jump in December. We're near Rincón, in Aguadilla. Even this city, which is much larger than Rincón, is MUCH more relaxing than back in the states. Being away from friends and family is tough, but more friends come.

Come on down.

Here is a suggestion for your meds.  Before you leave the states, start getting your prescriptions at Walgreens.  Get your prescriptions from your doctor, put them on file at Walgreens, where you are.  You will be able to pick up the refills here in PR.  According to what meds you take, your hometown doctor might be able to 'call in' your script to Walgreens.  At some point you will need to get a script from a PR doctor, but this method will buy you some time.

I will pm you. Thanks!

I hear cash is king there. I spent some time in Costa Rica and it ran much the same way. I liked it. I'd rather grease a palm than get a blister you know?

I'm divorcing wife #3 right now. It's a nightmare. To the point she has me fearful enough I moved 900 miles away already.

That being said, I wish to live somewhere I am judged based on my character. Not my credit score. Which you can imagine after 3 marriages is not so hot.

My income however is decent and residual as I live off of the sales of mobile applications that have been viral for a few years now.

Can I rent a "bungalow" or whatever with a wad of cash and a handshake?

Also I am a musician and am wondering about the music "scene" as well.

One more thing... I'm adorned in lots of very colorful tattoos. When I was in Costa Rica I had less than now but still seemed to draw a lot of strange looks and also friendly remarks.

Would I stick out like that there? Are there tattoo studios there?

Most people would like a rental agreement but you can find some that will rent without.
Cash is king yes

Most people are not interested on your credit score unless you are asking for a loan. People are friendly and tattos are fairly common, im sure somebody once in a while may feel unconfortable but not most people.

Don't flash your money, assuming you have any left after 3rd divorce, LOL.

I don't mind an agreement of course. My ideal situation may even be as simple as renting a room to start.

Where ever the pot smoking hippies are is probably the place for me honestly. I fit right into the dreadlocked white guy world pretty well.

It's sink or swim for me. I do not want to be tempted to step in front of a train just to escape this urban pressure. Another winter up here would not be good for me.

Plus I hear palm tree's can cure depression.

Rincon locals can probably point you to some places to rent, lay back party types seem to me like they are very welcome in Rincon, note this is personal opinion based on very limited exposure to Rincon. The people in this forum that live in the area know a lot better than I. I believe you been in contact with some of them already. Reach out to them

Looks like you found the Friends of Rincon facebook group..at least I am pretty it's you that posted today..sounds like you ;) It's a wonderful (most of the time) group of people on there!

Please let us know here how you like Rincon! I will be visiting for the first time at the end of April and would love to hear your thoughts as well.

So when are you coming to the island Nomorenervousbreakdowns?

I agree - Rincon sounds just like what you are looking for. 

Just an FYI that I did try to refill a prescription written on the mainland at the Walgreens in Anasco (the closest to Rincon) but was not able to.  I was told that they can only fill (or even refill) prescriptions written by PR doctors.

My wife and I are fixin' to leave this 2br home in the mountains of Rincon, for a bigger place.. Rent is $275... once the landlord is finished with the addition (two car garage, and another bedroom), the rent will go up to $325... but he's dragged his feet for MONTHS! It's on 6.5 acres of land, and is very private... when I actually put shorts and shoes on, my dogs know that I'm leaving!

I would love the information of your landlord .Thanks. you can pm

Daniel won't have a car .But this could work for us .Thanks

mac00677 wrote:

My wife and I are fixin' to leave this 2br home in the mountains of Rincon, for a bigger place.. Rent is $275... once the landlord is finished with the addition (two car garage, and another bedroom), the rent will go up to $325... but he's dragged his feet for MONTHS! It's on 6.5 acres of land, and is very private... when I actually put shorts and shoes on, my dogs know that I'm leaving!

I wish I was moving right now...with the addition, your place sounds absolutely PERFECT. I'm planning to move in the spring/summer of 2017... hmmmm maybe you can stay there awhile longer and he can do the addition slowly.. and then I can move right in ;)
What animals are allowed? Any chance there is actually room for a horse and that your landlord would allow it?

I think I'd love Mac's place, too!

mac, does your landlord have any other similar properties?