Travel by road from Cairo to Luxor - Please opine

I am planning to travel from Cairo to Luxor by car. Since I am travelling for first time to Luxor by road - I need advice on the following:
1) How is the condition of road? Is it of same condition as Cairo-Hurghada or Cairo - Alexandria?
2) Is it safe to drive ?
3) What is a better route to take from Cairo - Luxor OR Cairo-Hurghada- Luxor. some told me that a lot of people travel from Hurghada to Luxor hence that route is better (which I believe will be a much longer route).
4) Any recommendations for hotels / resorts  to stay and places to visit / eat etc?

Hi, my boyfriend and I travelled to Luxor by car 2 months ago. It was a fairly easy drive and road condition were fine . We took the route towards Safaga-Qena, and took us about us about 6hrs. We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and it's a really nice place you will really enjoy it there.

Good luck and have a pleasant trip!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Any particular places to visit alert from the historical ones?

Our main purpose was to visit the Historical places like the Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple as we where only there for 2 days.

Thanks ... So what I understand is that you took the road from Cairo to Hurgada and then to Luxor- any particular reason you did not take the other road ?

No, we took the Hurghada to Safaga road and then followed signs to Qena -Luxor, was the only route we could find.

She is right I have gone both ways and find that Cairo to Hurgada then to Luxor when driving is the best.   Cairo to Luxor is okay but I thought the roads and the places to stop were better to go to Hurgada then Luxor but then every one has their own thoughts and ways.    I will be going again soon but want to try the bus or the train again

Eastern desert road from cairo to lux will be much shorter than hurghada road by 3hrs. And it is a good road too. But there is no much facilities on it . It might take you around 7 hrs from cai to lux. I recommend you stay in nile palace hotel it is so good.what you can see there, there are plenty of places you can visit, valley of the kings ,hatshipsut temple , habu temple , dair el madina and all of yhose sites at the west bank of lux. In the east bank which is the main city you can visit karnak temple and luxor temple ,it better to visit luxore temple in the evning. Have a good trip