3 month visa extension no more

Hi, I have just been told by 2 agents in Nha Trang that only a 1 month visa extension is available at the moment. No 3 month extensions are available even though I have a current 3 month visa. Can someone please confirm if this is actually the case in HCMC ?

Thanks

what happened to the 1 year visa just introduced ?

I believe that the 1 year visa is tied to negotiations on Chapter 12 of the TPP agreement.  Chapter 12 specifies ways to make it easier for foreign corporations to move employees into temporary assignments including on tourist visas.  If the US Congress fails to approve the TPP, I suspect the one year tourist visa in VN will go away at the same time.  Vietnam stands to gain enormously from the TPP and this is part of the reciprocity.  The TPP can theoretically work without the US but the US is clearly the big export target for Asian countries.  Take away the US part and there is little reason for VN play nicely.

syncophants  yes?  :/

a good post from another poster which explains why...

"Immigration goes through an 6 year cycle and this year, they have changed all the main guys in Immigration. The new guys in charge have changed the rules, as they don't want people staying here  for up to a year on on tourist visas.
Their explanation for this is that there are too many long term "tourists" that live here and earn money without being registered as being employees of a company, or owning a company. It's similar to the restrictions they have place on foreigners holding bank accounts and being able to lodge money to those accounts without proving the source of funds.
Basically, they want people to be registered correctly. If you are tourist, then you abide by tourism visa laws and leave after the tourist visa expiry (+1 month), and if you wish to stay long term, then you need to either be employed or create a business to secure a temporary residency card or business visas which can be extended numerous times!
Other visa types, such as marriage visas are still in place and are now easier to make with 6 month - 1 year stamps available over the 5 year period of the marriage exemption visa.
There definitely should be a retirement visa, which is the main thing that is lacking for those who wish to stay long term but are not at an age where they want to work or do any kind of business."

Its a money grab, plain and simple. The rules will change back again as they always do.

would this interfere with the process of someone leaving to another country temporarily and returning on a fresh 3 month visa?

no only extending within the country

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please + please note promotion of services not allowed on forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

James, Phenom penh looks gook

MarkinNam wrote:

James, Phenom penh looks gook

Are you drunk?   :joking:

@ Panda > Did you find the information that you were looking for please?

Thank you for your feedback,

Priscilla  :cheers:

hi yes thanks Priscilla,

Yes, still possible to do the 3 months extension tourist visa.. Two months ago, immigration limited the extension of tourist visa base on visa history. Two or three times, extension they require to really do a visa run/ exit the country. Currently, its all good. Can do the extension first time, second time.

pippsmouschieluva wrote:

Yes, still possible to do the 3 months extension tourist visa.. Two months ago, immigration limited the extension of tourist visa base on visa history. Two or three times, extension they require to really do a visa run/ exit the country. Currently, its all good. Can do the extension first time, second time.

This varies from provience to provience, getting a 3 month extension was difficult a few weeks ago, maybe now it's changed back again.

Hi Peter,

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed on the forums : please recommend the professionals you appreciate in our business directory

@pippsmouschieluva

Advertise your services in the business directory under handy tool at the top of this page

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Proposing services and sharing of contact infos on the forum not allowed.

Did you see the two posts before yours?

Counting down 10-9-8-7 ..........

my building manager just checked yesterday, you can't extend a 3 month tourist visa by 3 months, maybe 1 month...

some times, thigv https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars … 1458524216

Just been digging into the archives of my head and found this, you will have to dig!! http://www.ey.com/GL/en/SearchResults?q … untry_name

Been in VN just 1 month but already realize that VN is not the place to retire and spend lots of savings as I´m not welcome here - seems like they dont want my Money for rent, shopping, even maybe later set up business - wow what idiocy ...

Jimlove wrote:

Been in VN just 1 month but already realize that VN is not the place to retire and spend lots of savings as I´m not welcome here - seems like they dont want my Money for rent, shopping, even maybe later set up business - wow what idiocy ...

Unfortunately true, they seem to be hell bent on pushing people away. The system is a mess and is basically setup for corruption, anyone with half a brain can see that by changing visa laws as often as they do means they are not serious about creating a workable system.

Jimlove wrote:

I think that we sometimes forget due to the hustle and bustle of the big cities and the basic entrepreneurial instincts of the people that Vietnam is after all run by the Communist Party.  These people gave blood, sweat and tears to rid themselves of colonialism and feel under no special obligation to make it easy for foreigners to set up businesses which could be construed as a sort of neo-colonialism.  Foreign investment is only welcomed to the extent that it helps the Vietnamese people.  I'm not saying good or bad, just the reality.

It is important to remember that not everyone is over the war.  The district that I lived in in HCMC was heavily populated by Catholics who had fled the North in 1954 and was very pro American and even quietly anti-government.  By contrast when I married my wife in the Mekong Delta area, neighbors told my mother-in-law that she should not allow it.  Now my mother-in-law is a northerner and lifelong Party member who was married to a man who walked from the delta to Hanoi (1200 km  :sleep ) to join the Northern army but she told them sharply to mind their own business.  My point is that although people may be pro-American or pro-European as individuals, collectively there still is caution and resentment for centuries of colonialism even if you are from a country that had no part of it.  It could be worse.  You could be Chinese.

The Mekong Delta harboured many VC, maybe that dislike for anything not communist still exists in certain people.

this may be of interest to our vets and as history lesson for others  http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/ … -australia

I must say that I know quite a few people who lived here long term who have left due to the idiotic law changes. Make a system that's workable and give it some time, not change the rules very few months. It seems that visa laws are an easy target, yet laws to the dog meat industry don't get changed, and  another killing of a dog thief yesterday. Wake up Ha Noi, it's not rocket science.

Hi,
It's truth we can not get 03 months extension for tourist class now, only 01 month extension. Then you have to leave and come back under new visa, the best course you should come to Moc Bai border (border between Vietnam and Cambodia) to save money. However, you should consider to get new visa under business class, you can get extension many times in the future without get any troubles.
Hope that it is useful.
Thanks - Katie

colinoscapee wrote:

yet laws to the dog meat industry don't get changed, and  another killing of a dog thief yesterday.

Who got killed?  The thief or the dog?  While I can't support stealing of dogs, I am fine with killing them for food.  Don't knock it 'till you try it.

Hi Katie

What would the procedure be and Price please ?

Wife and I are on our first 3 month single entry visa.

Jimlove wrote:

Hi Katie

What would the procedure be and Price please ?

Wife and I are on our first 3 month single entry visa.

@jimlove you don't need a visa seller to get extended. Download this form:

http://immigrationservices.com.vn/wp-co … Mau-N5.pdf

Fill it out, get the required signatures and turn it into Immigrations with 210,000VND for each one, and your passports. About $10.00 bucks. That's the same form and procedures that the visa sellers use.

Rick

yes but immagration is not extending visas by 3 months any more...

panda7 wrote:

yes but immagration is not extending visas by 3 months any more...

Has Immigration told you that, or just something the visa sellers have been posting on expat blogs?

They do have a way to make them selves important.

Rick

no that is apparently the deal now, no 3 month extensions. you can come in with a 3 month visa, extend by 1 month, then you have to do a visa run and leave the country. i have checked with 4 independent agents. they can not do 3 month extensions else they would be quoting for it...

panda7 wrote:

no that is apparently the deal now, no 3 month extensions. you can come in with a 3 month visa, extend by 1 month, then you have to do a visa run and leave the country. i have checked with 4 independent agents. they can not do 3 month extensions else they would be quoting for it...

His profile indicates that he's from Denmark, that might make a difference, as it does here from time too time. Regardless Id still rather do the form request a 3 month extension and let them tell me they can only extended it a month. For $10.. bucks, what you going to lose. The form is bilingual, and Immigration does have some English speaking Official's.

Rick

Great info Rick - really appreciate it. Yes, I´m from Denmark and wife Thailand. We lived 2 years in Thailand and always avoid visa-agents. We will download the form and go to Da Nang Imm. at Bach Dang road. Thx Rick

ok please post on how you go at the immigration department...

Jimlove wrote:

Great info Rick - really appreciate it. Yes, I´m from Denmark and wife Thailand. We lived 2 years in Thailand and always avoid visa-agents. We will download the form and go to Da Nang Imm. at Bach Dang road. Thx Rick

Jim you might also need some visa pictures to go with the applications. Hau Giang Immigration down here doesn't require it but maybe they do in Da Nang.

Rick

Hi Jim, I am sorry to get back to you late.
Please give me more information to give you the best advise:
        1/  Nationality:
        2/  Current Visa type (1 month, 3 month, …): 
        3/  Current Visa category (DL, DN, …):
        4/  Date of the latest Entry (The nearest date you enter into Vietnam):
        5/  Port of latest Entry (Hochiminh city airport, Ha noi airport, Mocbai border):
        6/  The visa expire date:
        6/  Duration of extension (1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 12 month – Single Or Multiple):
However, as new law from Government, you can only take 01 month extension under tourist class. So, please consider leave and come back with new visa under business class (it is more convenient to get extension in next time)
Thanks - Katie