Moving to Belize with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to Belize with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in Belize?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

I just decided I wanted to live somewhere beautiful all year round.  Belize is English speaking which is helpful and with US currency pretty cheap to live. There are so many different types of places to live in Belize.  The cities (San Ignacio) , country, hills, jungle, beaches, islands, rivers. The people are so nice. My kids miss all the people because they say the kids are much nicer in Belize than in the states. I love the laid back life style. We miss picking fruit off the trees. Freedom to do whatever you want (legally without bothering anybody else) . The different types of people (Mennonites, Garifuna, creole, spanish, Mayans and Mezisto..and of course the gringos, that's us). I felt safe while living in cities with our big fences and dogs, we had no problems.  In the country it was a little bit more interesting at night sometimes. It was definitely a healthier lifestyle with cleaner water, no fast food, less pollution. Cheap health care. But you get what you pay for.  The rivers and beaches are beautiful!  We loved all the wildlife.  More butterflies and birds and rainbows than we ever see in Ohio. We miss Belize and the people and hope to visit soon.

why did you return back north?

My wife and I are currently working on some property out in the country around San Ignacio and plan on moving there within a year or so. We love all the reasons you mentioned for moving to Belize. Just wondering what you meant by little more interesting at night living in the country? Any interesting stories to pass on?

you live where.....while you advise about belize....?