U must be in Jordan

You know you've lived as an expat in Jordan when:
1) You cried twice: when you got there and when you left
2)(for girls) You got used to be stared at by guys from 5 to 90 years old
3)Taxis honk at anything
4)Taxis always listen to the same old music, and try to make you pay double the price because they think you're a tourist
5)Every time you go to a local shop, the guys greet you with a 'welcome in Jordan' even though you've been living there for over a year
6)You think the guys are wearing too much gel and too tight jeans
7)There is a 'no smoking' sign everywhere but no one actually cares
8)(for girls) When you go to a party and you're wearing nice clothes, guys in the street ask you if you're from Russia
9)Taxi drivers regularly ask you where you're from or make a guess
10)You've never seen cheaper cigarettes
11)You think the police standing there is useless,or maybe increases the mess and the number of car crashes
12)(for girls)the police stops your car just by curiosity
13)(for girls)You're fucking affraid of the gards in front of houses
14)You've never seen a population that is so proud of its country and of its king
15)You're amazed by the amount of pieces of desert among the city center
16)(for girls)The first time you went to downtown, you didn't know it was going to be that hard to be stared at just because we can see your arms. So the second time you went there, you were hiding you hair under a hoodie, you wore gloves and baggy pants
17)You can't walk on the pavements because of the trees
18)(for girls)Cars regularly stop and the guy who is driving twistes his head just to see you. If he does not stop, he honks, or whistles
19)Guys like to be at the back of pick ups even if the pick up is driving at the speed of 150 km/hour
20)People have 3 Cell Phones and buy expensive clothes but  don't have a JOB .
21)People have BBQs on the highway
22)Someone don't have a Job or Good life ,Advise you how to get a Job and have a Better life.
23)People ask why and where and How in everything in ur life even u don't know them ..

so true!funny read.

yes, this jordanian man i have become good friends with i notice he stares at me and i am fully clothed... it's like sometimes i feel like he's a perve.  but he's not.  it's just weird when he sees other women too... he like stares!!!!

One More :
If u r married "Man&Woman": you have no Privacy in any thing

I know what you mean!  My solution was to live alone with my husband and my kids in a smaller apartment, even though we own the house and everything in it, in which my in laws live in.  But believe me, piece of mind and having privacy is worth it!  We have to budget more but I don't mind as long as I am not living in a commune.

SherriO,Well  try this:
1>If u live close to Family "in Law" Move far.
2>if someone asks about something personal ? Reply immediately
why do u want to know!"Look in His/Her in Eyes"
3>Ignore the Person.
4>Just be real firm and say :None of ur Business!
5>I will tell u later"But they will ask u again "

if u are kind person then it will be very hard,but trust me from
my experience,Kindness in Jordan is Weakness.Be Tough Be Disrespectful,Be bad is the only way to gain respect in Jordan..
This is Jordan if u are nice ,u are stupid.
By the way my name is Chris
Good Luck.
Chris

haha
amazing!!

kalamir wrote:

SherriO,Well  try this:
1>If u live close to Family "in Law" Move far.
2>if someone asks about something personal ? Reply immediately
why do u want to know!"Look in His/Her in Eyes"
3>Ignore the Person.
4>Just be real firm and say :None of ur Business!
5>I will tell u later"But they will ask u again "

if u are kind person then it will be very hard,but trust me from
my experience,Kindness in Jordan is Weakness.Be Tough Be Disrespectful,Be bad is the only way to gain respect in Jordan..
This is Jordan if u are nice ,u are stupid.
By the way my name is Chris
Good Luck.
Chris

HELLO, CHRIS!! GOOD ADVICES FOR SOMEONE WHO IS COUNTING THE DAYS BEFORE ARRIVAL IN AMMAN (THAT'S ME...). HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN. BEST WISHES !!! (BY THE WAY, NICE APARTMENT YOU HAVE FOR RENT... IT'S PERFECT FOR ME AND MY HOUSBAND, TOO BAD YOU WANT RENT IN ADVANCE, I CAN ONLY PAY MONTHLY...)

danik2010 ,there is more to tell about Jordan,good things and bad things..u will explore it urself when u come..I wish someone has advised me before I came here..
About my apt,if u & ur husband like it,maybe we can talk about month to month rent if u pay little more..
Wish u best stay in Jordan .

"I wish someone has advised me before I came here..." IT DOESN'T SOUND VERY OPTMIST... I FEEL I CAN USE ANY ADVICE I CAN GET... ANYWAY, ON DECEMBER 24 I ARRIVE IN AMMAN AND START A NEW LIFE... WE'LL TALK THEN ABOUT THE APARTMENT AND OF COURSE WILL SEE IT, BUT I CAN TELL NOW WE WANT SOMETHING FOR LONG TIME PERIOD (2-3 YEARS), YOU SAID IT'S YOUR APARTMENT, WHAT IF YOU DECIDE SUDDENLY TO MOVE IN?? I HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE, RIGHT?? WE HAVE TO MEET, SEE IT AND TALK THEN. THANK YOU FOR QUICK ANSWER AND GREETINGS FROM ROMANIA !!!

Hi danik2010, :)could you please avoid using your caps lock on the forum. Thank you very much. :)

ok, i'm sorry, i didn't know that.... thank you

kalamir wrote:

3)Taxis honk at anything
4)Taxis always listen to the same old music, and try to make you pay double the price because they think you're a tourist
5)Every time you go to a local shop, the guys greet you with a 'welcome in Jordan' even though you've been living there for over a year
8)(for girls) When you go to a party and you're wearing nice clothes, guys in the street ask you if you're from Russia
11)You think the police standing there is useless,or maybe increases the mess and the number of car crashes
14)You've never seen a population that is so proud of its country and of its king
16)(for girls)The first time you went to downtown, you didn't know it was going to be that hard to be stared at just because we can see your arms. So the second time you went there, you were hiding you hair under a hoodie, you wore gloves and baggy pants
18)(for girls)Cars regularly stop and the guy who is driving twistes his head just to see you. If he does not stop, he honks, or whistles
19)Guys like to be at the back of pick ups even if the pick up is driving at the speed of 150 km/hour
22)Someone don't have a Job or Good life ,Advise you how to get a Job and have a Better life.
23)People ask why and where and How in everything in ur life even u don't know them ..

I was never afraid of those guards, *the Gendarme Forces or Quwaat al Darak)--they always made me feel even more safe . Jordan can just be sooo funny sometimes...like those Egyptians are sooo funny, and how they are always yelling (Fouad can fool an Egyptian into making them think HE'S Egyptian he's got the accent down 100% lol ( Yalla ya 3ammi  - Ishtuf al darag ya 3ammi inahaar dah!! )

hahahahaha so true! I am a Native Jordanian so i can understand what u r saying :D

Any one like to add more to my list about Jordan please do ?

Every one is screaming " its my shout" I Am gonna pay this time. It takes 15 minutes just pay the bill.

This is SOOOOO true sadly lol

TIME has no meaning in Jordan,u lose days in years in ur life waiting for things to change but they never do.No one in Jordan Keeps up with  promises..Years & years go by in Jordan,Things are still the same for years before and years to come...

Hey SherriO,How is life going for you and your family ?u are in  Irbid is much nicer place than Amman for ur KIDS ..For all  friends in Jordan and USA ,Life in Jordan is Good if u have a good Job and a place to live so it is not that bad..
I know u are in the States now ,How is life in the States now"Business Wise" ?

heres one u must be in jordan when every one is a [moderated: not funny at all]

I live in the uk,my partner flys out to work in Jordan in the nxt few weeks (april),I am looking to join him in sept with our 10 year old,any info would be fantastic,Thanks

Tanni, As u read above most of Jordan issues it is little social issues nothing Major ..but as far as safety and security ,it is very safe,I never worry about it ..
So Don't worry and Welcome to Jordan ..

I feel great here !!!

i only cried once,, when i left..
i saw the mmap on the airplane telling us how many mils to go back home and i saw how for jordan was, it hit me there, i cried, i thnk the people next to me were scared hahaah...

His all packed ready to fly to our new home tomoz sunday,Cant wait till i join him sept going to seem like so long to wait:(

People come and Go in Jordan,Some Love it and Call it 2nd home,Some Hate it so bad even if Jordan is their Home,and
cry from Happiness that they left it...
I think Happiness starts:
Yourself 1st,
then then your Job,
then the Place u live in "Country",
then People around you.

Hi Tanni

Jordan is great, wonderful people!  Read the forum there is so much information on here.  You may want to put some extra clothes on when you arrive though ;-)  It is a fairly conservative dress code.

Well ,the true of the matter Jordan very Modern Lately ,u can dress freely,but be sure people would look at you very friendly and wondering :)

@ Jordanmoon66 - Just as a bystander in this conversation, I think you may have missed Chris's point - most of what he says is what we love about Jordan, although some of the things are frustrations because it is so different from where we live and we turn those frustrations into humour.  I am very aware that I am a guest in your country and I love your country, it's beauty and it's people and respect it's culture.  I hope you will laugh with us and if I saw something on here which I thought was disrespectful, I would be the first to say.

@ jordanmoon66 - i suggest you to start a new thread about good and positive things in Jordan in the Jordan forum . (your comments here doesn't help anyone)

Thank you.

Sorry for the off topic.

jordanmoon I don't lie,I am not sure where u live in Jordan but I know Jordan up and down,Poor and rich,Educated and uneducated people,What I wrote is all from Jordanian and not Jordanian People feed back.
Read people comments about my Post first,and u would know every singe thing I said is true..
unfortunately JORDANMOON your mentality still far away from JORDAN'S real life and real people..

Hahahhahaaaa..

Chris,very true,,,100% correct....thanx for making this happend i relieved :))

k-al wrote:

3)Taxis honk at anything

Yeap!! Agree!!  I've been in Amman for 6 years now and I do agree with the above. Especially the 3 cellphones and without a job thingie!!!

:cheers:

so true!
And what do you think about this: when you tell that they can't drive of they make a mistake, they always says that you are wrong.

hahahahahaha! i cant stop laughing :P that's true unfortunately..

Very. Funny.

@Sherrio... Attack is best way of defense... :)
I am Jordanian, and this is my dilemma too...
being nice all the time can harm us.

k-al wrote:

Any one like to add more to my list about Jordan please do ?

If you visit someone at his house, he will kill you with food... insisting all the time that you should eat.

if you don't like MANSAF, then you are an alien...

If you still don't know what is MANSAF, then you are really an alien :P

hahahha...so funny and its true...there one more i noticed..if they say wait for 5 minutes(KAMSA DAGEGA)...ther 5 minutes its gonna be one day..so your waiting for nothng...another one when the are talking to the phone,u thought that there fighting with some else and every word theres is action by hand...hahahhahahahahahahahaha:lol: