Dogs and Cat rescue

I've been rescuing dogs and cats. I can't afford to feed, house and medicate these animals by myself. I'd appreciate any input any expats can provide with regard to inexpensive spay, neutering. I'm considering starting a non profit to allow me to solicit donations. Any help or information from expats who have done this, or are interested. I live in Tagayttay, Cavite area. Thanks

I have 6 dogs and cats that I cannot count anymore; it is a frustration to me how the people treats animals here; I have a place near Tagaytay, I can give a bag of food for the dogs and cats; you can probably start animal care awareness;

You are very kind Cynthia. I have over 12 dogs, and some puppies, with over 8 cats. I'm looking for a reasonable spay, neuter option. I am like you. I can''t fathom the unintentional abuse these animals endure, because the people don't have the money to fix the animals, control the population. The government is certainly at fault. As, there should be a program that helps the poor people get help for their animals. Instead they just keep letting them breed. Take them to the dump, and let them eat garbage, or hope someone takes them. It's actually sickening. I'm doing all I can, but now I am soliciting the states for donations from friends and family. I use PayPal and looking to start a non profit, as people with money are always looking for tax shelters. Why not animal rescue in the Philippines. Maybe some well to do Filipinos living in the states remember what it's like here for the scores of animals wandering the streets with mange, malnourished, abused and dying of worms, fleas and ticks etc...Thank you and I would be glad to accept any donations or gifts, as in food, medicine etc....I plan to fix all the animals and find homes for them, after they are healthy and spayed or neutered. Sincerely, thank you for the reply.  Nice to know someone out there cares. My heartfelt thanks for being you.

Hi, R. and Cynthia! Hats off to you both for rescuing cats and dogs. Our family has 6 rescued cats.

Both the Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) in Quezon City and CARA Welfare in Mandaluyong both offer low-cost spay/neuter services.

PAWS spay/neuter rates. http://www.paws.org.ph/veterinary-services.html
PAWS Animal Rehabilitation Center (PARC), Aurora Boulevard, Katipunan Valley, Loyola Heights, Quezon City (beside Superlines)
*We've had two of our female cats spayed at PAWS.

CARA Welfare spay/neuter rates. http://www.caraphil.org/mainsite/about- … wVSX3CirqM
CARA Clinic
175 Lopez Rizal St. cor. Samat St., Mandaluyong City
632 5323340 /0910-7297026
[email protected]

Hope this information helps, and thank you so much for caring for the animals.

I took my 6 cats to a vet clinic in Bulacan. The assistant there was a friend of one of my employees, so I got a discount. Spaying was PhP2000. Neutering was PhP1500. I bought antibiotics and pain relievers -- around PhP250.

Initially, I had just one affectionate female cat which I adopted after she strayed into my office.  After my cat first went in heat, I asked the vet near my work how much to spay my cat. He said it was PhP4500.

I searched online for cheaper options, and came upon PAWS (only PhP1000 for cat spaying). I called them many times, and they said they'd call me back with a schedule, but they never did. (Maybe I should have went there in person.) Then my cat went in heat again. I kept her inside the house, but sometime in the night when we were all asleep, she managed to open the one unlocked glass window and escape (smart and resourceful little girl). She gave birth to 5 kittens a few months later.

Having many cats and keeping them healthy is expensive. 1 sack (7 kgs) of Whiskas dry food is around PhP950. It's PhP350-390 for a 1.5 kg bag. A can of Whiskas wet food is PhP65. Cat sand (Tidy Cats, Cat San, etc.) is PhP250+ / bag. A good cat carrier / cage (for vet visits) is PhP1000. And then there are vaccinations, vet fees and meds for things like skin problems, cuts and bruises (sometimes from fights  with stray male cats), etc. So I learned my lesson, searched for a more reasonably priced procedure, and spayed / neutered all of my cats.

My first cat likes to sleep in our bedroom. So we wash her once in a while. Cat shampoo: PhP450-500.

We've spent around PhP12,000 to fix all of our cats. I think spaying / neutering was worth the price.  Our cats are calmer and less aggressive. Overtime, I think it would cost us more to take care of more baby cats than having our cats fixed.

If you want to try PAWS in Quezon City, I would suggest going there in person and schedule and confirm a time for a procedure to avoid unnecessarily having your pet go through a fast. Tagaytay to Quezon City is around a 3-hour drive depending on traffic.

Salute to all of you guys!
Im also in Tagaytay Area. But I'm living in Wind Residences and they wont allow pets in my unit. If there's any help i can do, please contact me guys.

Cheers!

rpmiller wrote:

I've been rescuing dogs and cats. I can't afford to feed, house and medicate these animals by myself.

What do you mean by "rescuing"? It's a broad term. Did you rescue them from abusive owners? Or pick them up from the streets? Were the cats you rescued strays?

The best way to help animals is to find a loving owners for them, which might be difficult in the Philippines since most are poor and those who do have money prefer pets with a breed. If you have the time, try to set up a blot so people can see your pets and would be more inclined to help you. Take pictures of them with you. Add your blog to your expat.com profile or social media.

It's a lot of work to set up a non-profit. It would be easier to just tie up with existing animal rescue groups in the Philippines.

Yes, I'm disappointed in PAWS and other organizations. They are probably overrun with animals and work and can hardly help anyone else, unless I guess you go there in person. I found a vet in Tagaytay. He's willing to work with me on the animals. I could use some help finding homes for them after I get them fixed. Please help if you can, anyone. Thanks

Well, I saved a couple of dogs from a neighbor who drinks, does drugs, hardly feeds  his own kids, and was letting this mother dog die of starvation, while two of her puppies were suffering as well. I took the dog one day, and the two puppies. One died, his head swelled up and he just passed. Terrible how the locals treat their animals, but like you said, they are hardly in a financial state to take care of their kids, much less pets. I think many of these people should be spayed or neutered. I saved a couple of pets on the road, under cars etc...so I grabbed a few that needed help. I've reached my limit and now I'm over my head. I am working with a Vet nearby who gave me a good deal on the Spay neuter of dogs, and cats. And, promised to help me find some homes. I'm hopeful he comes through. I have about 12 dogs and puppies now, with more kittens and puppies on the way. I don't see any of these organizations helping me, unless I go there, and I'm way far away, so forget about everyone. I"m on my own. Thanks for the feedback.

In answer to all your inquiries about rescuing being a broad term. I saved them from abuse, stray cats, and abandoned animals. As I said, I've reached my limit and get no help from anyone here. So, I will do what I have to do, find the homes myself. I will pay the local pet shop to find homes, I will pay the local Vet to find homes. ONly money seems to work here to get anything done. I'm disappointed. It's says a lot about the status of this country and what the future holds. Unless they change a lot of things, this country will undoubtedly be taken over by stronger willed nations. The people here have big hearts, but they are in the wrong place. Mostly in their pockets....There are exceptions, and it's refreshing when you meet good people. But, the contrast in income and status is appalling and says a lot about the direction the country is heading. You get rid of a Marcos, only to get an Arroyo.....power corrupts, and the Filipino is easily corrupted it seems. Too bad....Not that the USA or any other country isn't. They have all seen and still see their own forms of growing pains, which always includes corruption and greed. When will we finally figure it out, that greed only leads to more greed and corruption.............jumping off the soapbox now.....thank you, thank you, thank you........done.

That would be a great idea.

Broad term? What more needs to be said? All of the above...duah..... I saved them from abuse, stray cats, and abandoned animals. As I said, I've reached my limit and get no help from anyone here. So, I will do what I have to do, find the homes myself. I will pay the local pet shop to find homes, I will pay the local Vet to find homes. ONly money seems to work here to get anything done. I'm disappointed. It's says a lot about the status of this country and what the future holds. Unless they change a lot of things, this country will undoubtedly be taken over by stronger willed nations. The people here have big hearts, but they are in the wrong place. Mostly in their pockets....There are exceptions, and it's refreshing when you meet good people. But, the contrast in income and status is appalling and says a lot about the direction the country is heading. You get rid of a Marcos, only to get an Arroyo.....power corrupts, and the Filipino is easily corrupted it seems. Too bad....Not that the USA or any other country isn't. They have all seen and still see their own forms of growing pains, which always includes corruption and greed. When will we finally figure it out, that greed only leads to more greed and corruption.............jumping off the soapbox now.....thank you, thank you, thank you........done.

Fortunately I was able to find a good Vet, who obviously has a good heart and a good doctor. They were able to spay and neuter my animals, 4 of them for about 8000 peso. One big dog, one small, two cats.....big dog was most expensive...but still, they helped me find homes for over 6 animals so far, so tie up with a local vet. maybe you will find one as good, as nice as mine.....Thanks PRTC....

Cynthiavilla was extraordinarily kind enough to travel all the way to Tagaytay, with her rottweiler in two, to purchase a huge bag of dog food for the dogs I rescued. I am finding homes with the help of a local vet..I recommend finding such help, as they have been extremely helpful. I hope you find a vet like them, as they were helpful spaying and neutering my older dogs and cats, as well as with finding homes for many of my dogs. Cynthiavilla is a very special person, like most animal lovers. She shocked me with her gift. That kind of help is inspiring, emotionally satisfying and just fantastic. I have been living paycheck to paycheck, social security, and with the added expenses of these animals, and a pregnant dog and pregnant cat still in play, I couldn't thank her enough for the selfless support and caring she showed us all yesterday in Tagaytay...Those kinds of things, people, really make a difference today.....Thanks Cynthia, you really make a difference.......God Bless!

Not only did I make a friend on this site, but Cynthia? was generous enough to help me with food for my rescued animals. She also helped me with a few issues I had. I wish there were more people like her in this world. She selflessly helped me without even knowing me....The common bond? Dogs......says a lot.....I can't tell you how valuable my dogs and cats are, and all the stories I hear about rat infestation, that we eliminated once a person got a cat...I had the same experience...Now, I have 7 new puppies, the father is a Pug Mix,which will help immensely toward finding homes for them. Also, I found a vet that really works with me, and never turns me down when it comes to finding homes for these rescued animals. I can only hope other people in this situation find such great people. Of course I bring the Vet business, and have things like the puppies tails cropped, and spay and neutering, which can be very expensive, but this Vet, in Tagaytay, is always willing to negotiate and work with me on price..I can't tell you how much that means to me..I was at a loss a few months ago, but everything has turned around.....Good people make a big difference....Thanks everyone.....