Westerners living in Vietnam

I have lived in Thailand for many years. Thais think farangs pockets are lined with Gold.
I have now come to Vietnam to live permanently Its still the same but more blatant.
When I go shopping I pay more for every item.
Example
Small milk drinks I pay 30000 Vnd Wife pays 24000 Vnd
Vietnamese Rum "      " 100000 Vnd Wife pays 75000 Vnd
Crisps I pay 10000 Vnd Wife pays 6000 Vnd
So my Wife has to do all the shopping.Or I go with her to show the shop keepers that we are together and not to rip me off!

Sorry to hear that. :'(

It is sad to hear that but normally, when foreigners know about the price, everything is equal especially it is good for you to buy in the supermarkets if you do not want to bargain the price at local groceries.

Get to know the prices and deal with shops that charge the local rate. Many shopkeepers are greedy and can't see past today, I deal with the same shop owners and pay local prices.

It's interesting because I'm on and off to the South of Vietnam and I've rarely had such "bad luck". First of all, even when I go to "smaller" cities like Rach Gia, there's always a Coop Mart or Metro where prices are fixed. When I can only shop at markets, they rarely charge me more than the usual price. My suggestion is to learn some basic vietnamese and ask them "bao nheu" and manage prices in Vietnamese. I think when they realize you know some basic Vietnamese they might be less inclined to try to rip you off.

There was a little market right in the neighborhood less than 100 m from where we lived (not her home area) and my wife used to tell me that I couldn't go there because then she too would get charged higher prices.  I laughed and told her that every stall seller in that market knew who she was and who she was married to within the first two days of our moving in.  If you consistently shop the same market and shop around at different stalls, things will level off because everyone there is competing against each other.  Once you become a familiar face, and learn to count in Vietnamese, things change for the better.

It may actually be a little worse for you in Hoi An as the city lives off of tourism and if you are by yourself you will be assumed to be a tourist.  In the suburban district of HCMC where we lived tourists were virtually unknown.  Keep showing up in the places that show you the right price.

Xin Chao Many thanks
Yes Hoi an is very touristy
We have found one shop that has a computerized till So the price is fixed
The other day I stopped at the market to buy flowers for my wife ( still romantic with her )
They started at 40000Vnd The bunch I liked went up to 60000Vnd Then 80000Vnd
My wife went back a few days latter and brought for me a lovely assorted bunch 20000Vnd
I have been with my wife to one shop where we buy Vietnam spirits and cigarettes
I now get the same price
Thankfully my Wife does all the market shopping
Roy

Learn vietnamese not to get cheated ... Hahaha  *** - buy most your Things on a one week trip to Da Nang in stead. Go to Vincom, Metro (MM Mega Market) or Lottemart - they have most Things except meat-sections in VN is mostly ridiculous.

Dont buy your meat at Ba Le local market - Meat is bad (flies sitting on it for hours and we all know what flies in too ...) and more expensive than supermarkets in Da Nang´+ many of the sellers are outright rude (Vietnam style) ... Stay away from Ba Le Market ...

BTW Tiger Market is not better ...

Only buy bread here in Hoi An - everything else in Da Nang ...

Many Thanks Jim

I have heard many expats who visit here say they have never overpaid, unless you know all the prices of things here, how can you know if you' haven't been over charged. I remember when the Benh Thanh markets night market food stalls had two menus, one for locals and one for everyone else.

I go buy Milk 30000Vnd Wife goes 24000Vnd
Crisps I pay 10000Vnd Wife pays 6000 Vnd
Vietnam Bottle spirit 100000Vnd Wife pays 80000Vnd

Maybe see prices in supermarkets in Da Nang and the overpriced Things in Hoi An .... Never ever buy more than you have to in Hoi An - Things are overpriced, meat is bad when you cook it and people are generally rude ...

I dont live in Hoi An cause of the people - I live here cause of the Beach, Air and nice house we got through a fair Real Estate Agent in Hoi An - not like the Scamartist in Da Nang that will show you anything except what they have on their web-site eg. Harry Tran

If you have to shop in Hoi An, go to AP Mart at Hai Ba Trung - they label most prices and are very fair compared to the scam artists at Cua Dai

Some expats say it's fair that we pay more. I know in my home country we would be called racist for doing the same thing, but it doesn't seem to work that way outside of western countries.

Let those expats pay more then - I wont if I can avoid it and like you say ... Is it only White people that can be called racists ... screw that - most racist people I ever meet was in Thailand and Kenya (lived both Places a few years)

in the street there is no set price in Vietnam, if you are paying overs you need to learn what the price is...

Correct, get to know your prices and minimize being over charged.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Rude
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Jimlove:  You know I always laugh at the people who post that they just got here and think that the Vietnam is the greatest place on earth, and I certainly think it is fair to criticize the Vietnamese especially when it is areas where I know that they can do things better.  I also have never subscribed to the "love it or leave it" train of thought but if you really hate Vietnam and its people that much, then maybe it really is time to move on.

As you have previously stated that your wife is Thai, I have wondered why you have not chosen to live there.  Did you have difficulty getting along with people in Thailand?  If so, maybe you need to look within.

i always laugh at new people coming here who complain about the shower not being recessed and water going everywhere. im sure the Vietnamese feel the same way going to western countries and finding no bidets. they'd be like wtf !

As much as I like Vietnamese people socially, I do struggle with their attitude. They do have a tendency to not accept any fault and dealing with them on a day to day basis can be trying. Never try and teach a local anything, as they actually think they know everything. Overall, at this time in my life I prefer to live here even with the problems faced being an expat. At times it's very frustrating , especially on the roads where they have a total disregard for the law and close calls are the order of the day.

panda7 wrote:

im sure the Vietnamese feel the same way going to western countries and finding no bidets. they'd be like wtf !

There is a solution:  http://www.amazon.com/SmarterFresh-Spra … held+bidet  One of many   :D   Eventually even Jimlove's native Denmark may arise from dark Scandinavia and learn of this civilizing innovation.  French colonialism left behind two good things.  Banh Mi and bidets.

The bum washer is a fantastic tool, it also saves the enviroment and sewerage systems.

So Thai-wfie just came back from Ba Le market and - surprise surprise - these thiefs once Again tried to cheat, not with prices, but with the change ...

Why does this always happen in this cheating country but almost never in Thailand - anybody actually lived both Places that have explanation ... ?

Done need to hear from VN apologists like THIGV etc.

Jimlove wrote:

You might consider reading my post again as I clearly prefaced it with a comment that I was not one who could see no wrong with Vietnamese culture.  My comment was simply that if you are so unhappy, what is holding you here.  Something does not add up.

Jim, you should listen to the Hawaii based expert.

You have a link to that Colin since I have to warn all future expats moving to Vietnam - Not worth it, its like jungle with no good people

Moondancer wrote:

I have lived in Thailand for many years. Thais think farangs pockets are lined with Gold.
I have now come to Vietnam to live permanently Its still the same but more blatant.
When I go shopping I pay more for every item.
Example
Small milk drinks I pay 30000 Vnd Wife pays 24000 Vnd
Vietnamese Rum "      " 100000 Vnd Wife pays 75000 Vnd
Crisps I pay 10000 Vnd Wife pays 6000 Vnd
So my Wife has to do all the shopping.Or I go with her to show the shop keepers that we are together and not to rip me off!

TVB!

It's not just foreigners. The Vietnamese rip each other off too, if they can. Usually, the locals knoe the prices, so they can't be ripped off that way.

For example, I had a student here (very wealthy), and her family had a mechanic who worked on their cars (yes, plural), and motorbikes for years. That is, until they learned he was ripping out all the good stock parts and replacing them with cheap afyermarkwt knockoffs. Then he'd sell the good parts for a tidy profit.

So, it's not only the expats, it's anybody who is not savvy enough to protect themselves.

True, but getting overcharged and your example are fairly different in the actual act. As stated many times, always watch what locals pay. As far as having repairs done,most reputable places have a viewing area so you can actually watch the mechanics. Just because people have a lot of many it doesn't mean they're smart, see the same thing in my country with the Nigerian scam.

colinoscapee wrote:

As much as I like Vietnamese people socially, I do struggle with their attitude. They do have a tendency to not accept any fault and dealing with them on a day to day basis can be trying. Never try and teach a local anything, as they actually think they know everything. Overall, at this time in my life I prefer to live here even with the problems faced being an expat. At times it's very frustrating , especially on the roads where they have a total disregard for the law and close calls are the order of the day.

You made me smile..., "they know everything" ...yep. I was project manager for a bomb clearance project  in the Mekong Delta. I told the local clearance team that we had to search the TZ (transition zone - beach out to deep water) for bombs as the seismic teams would lay cables there.

The local UXO clearance company (Bomicen) told me that there were no bombs in the transition zone. I said that bombs often get washed up into the transition zone, but anyway as part of the project Health and Safety management procedure, we were obliged to do a search. They said, maybe in my country, but not in Vietnam, as Vietnam is different.

They laughed and sniggered and I had to supervise them directly to make them do it.

Day one - nothing found Hahahahah from Bomicen
day two - nothing found - Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah stupid foreigner from Bomicen

Day 3. 1 x 105mm HE projectile found right on the seismic line; followed by a box of 40mm grenades.

Bomicen - maybe you put them there ......

Yeah right

Yep, that's the nature of the beast we must deal with, God bless them. I remember a customer of mine, her husband was the technical manager for IBM in Saigon, his staff told him "he didn't know as this is Viet Nam". He was gobsmacked by the attitude and couldn't believe what he was hearing.

These days I basically offer no input to what is being done, as it will just be ignored. It makes life much easier that way, better than getting all worked up and stressed.

Jimlove wrote:

So Thai-wfie just came back from Ba Le market and - surprise surprise - these thiefs once Again tried to cheat, not with prices, but with the change ...

Why does this always happen in this cheating country but almost never in Thailand - anybody actually lived both Places that have explanation ... ?

Err, its called bargaining. This what you do in markets here. In fact thats what you do in markets the world over.

You need to leave you home country attitude behind.

Oh and yeah, I have lived in Thailand, and Laos and Cambodia and Hong Kong and Singapore and Malaysia, and Iran and and and... get real mate.

Couldn't have said it better...

..although, I can only count my countries on one hand(!)

But then, (any) racism is the same as obscene language...

..the user paints a very accurate picture of their Self...       :not happy:

As for introspection..?    Alien concept.

What's that old saying ...
Watch, listen,observe,assess ,ADAPT and hopefully survive in your new environment.

I walk a lot here. I walk past hundreds of small markets, people sitting in the hot sun selling a few pieces of fruit to make a few pennies to feed their families.

Quite often the old ladies at the market here "get" me for a few dong.   Big deal....when their 5 year old kid is sitting beside them helping to put the onion in the bag do you think I care where that few dong is going.  A whole 20 cents maybe.

In my country we have a social security system .      I wonder how it would be back there if there wasn't that system in place.    I'd say the Desparate and penniless would spending their last dollars on a balaclava and baseball bat and coming after people.   They do that already on a daily basis , and these people get a regular income from a job or welfare. 

Could you imagine how savage they'd be if they had ZERO income like people here.

It's pretty good here.

Yogi007 wrote:

What's that old saying ...
Watch, listen,observe,assess ,ADAPT and hopefully survive in your new environment.

I walk a lot here. I walk past hundreds of small markets, people sitting in the hot sun selling a few pieces of fruit to make a few pennies to feed their families.

Quite often the old ladies at the market here "get" me for a few dong.   Big deal....when their 5 year old kid is sitting beside them helping to put the onion in the bag do you think I care where that few dong is going.  A whole 20 cents maybe.

In my country we have a social security system .      I wonder how it would be back there if there wasn't that system in place.    I'd say the Desparate and penniless would spending their last dollars on a balaclava and baseball bat and coming after people.   They do that already on a daily basis , and these people get a regular income from a job or welfare. 

Could you imagine how savage they'd be if they had ZERO income like people here.

It's pretty good here.

Most expats I know don't dare go near a market, I do,as I know most of the prices from watching others. It's not the markets that are so bad, it's the penny pinching middle aged hag at the local shop that pisses me off. And don't even think that these people are struggling, many are doing very,very well. Look like you're doing badly so nobody thinks you have money is a very common scenario here. At the end of the day, if the shopkeeper tries to shaft you, move on to the next one, I have numerous small local shops and markets I deal with,and keep going to until they try and up the price,most of them don't.

That's a good point.   
I always watch what the locals pay at the markets.   I use the same egg lady, the same fruit lady ,etc most of the time.   They know what I usually get .  I have my own cloth carry bag so I just hold that out and toss the usual order in.  They can keep,the plastic bags.

I've noticed the cunning operators  will serve the foreigner first so they don't get to see what others are paying.    You don't see that kind of service anywhere when the prices are marked up already.  You get punted to the back of the line. 😀😀

There's one "old duck" here that I can't dodge.  If I don't want to buy her fried potato & banana ,,she gives it to me anyway and says pay me tomorrow.  I don't take money to the beach , and she's got her stand under the tree there so she's hard to evade.   

Yogi might have to find another beach, because I really don't like eating that stuff everyday.

Maybe you could get her for entrapment... :D

Tsk!    ..the old Yogi I know is smarter than that!

I (had) the very same problem.   

Simply Scrumptious comes nowhere near cutting the custard.

..but every day..?   Bleah!    So I told her straight.   And from then on I got a double helping every 2,3, or 4 days.   And the biggest smile...

..my stomach will never forgive me for leaving...        :nothappy:

Yogi's not silly.

He's been giving this a lot of thought.   I'll wear a disguise .😉

I'll walk upright on my hind legs, wear an I Love Vietnam T -shirt , Zinc cream on Yogi's nose and sunglasses.  Might even wear a pair of crocs.

Not a chance she'll know it's me.