Struggling In Ho Chi Minh

Hi

This is Vishal from India-Mumbai. I'm currently in discussion with my company for opportunities in Vietnam-Ho Chi Minh City. My company has got some steady business happening in Vietnam.

I've no idea about Vietnam. Thus had logged into this blog to find out some like minded people who can assist. I've intentions to move with my family. Thus needed some advice.

I'm currently in Ho Chi Minh City & was trying to get connected with some Indians by visiting Indian temple & indian restaurants but havent been lucky yet. It's been a week since I'm here & have a few days left to come to any conclusion.
Language is the ultimate barrier i found in these few days which makes difficult to put across things. I was wondering how difficult it could get talking to a doctor or understanding their prescribed medicines. Also how are the medical care facilities around here. Also tried visiting local markets to find out general cost of groceries to compare with Mumbai standards, so managed to get some details.
However on rental accomodation i havent yet tried my hands on to survey. Also not clear about the crime rate & family security here as I intend to move with my family.
There are many queries which come to mind,but dont want to bother you much also.

I 've a few other set of questions, but dont wont to bother you immediately. If you feel, you can initiate the discussion then please feel free to mail me here or at [email protected]

Well all said & done all your assistance would help me to take a major decision in my career. Hope you understand.Looking forward to get connected & thanks for your help in advance.

Regards
Vishal

You didn't say if your family includes a number of children and are they school age. Another member here from Mumbai is Ritesh Govil. Great guy and I think if you lookup his membership you can email him for information. Very friendly and nice guy. His two other buddies from Mumbai are equally nice gentlemen.

Language should not be too difficult of a problem. Many places usually have someone who speaks at least broken English. And Vietnamese are quite patient when you try to communicate. There are some good quality international hospitals centered in Saigon and Ha Noi, but none that I know of as you travel throughout the country. Your company is the best source to question about helath insurance or an allowance for it. There are a few health insurers in town as well. VN hospitals are not recommended for the most part. Maybe for blood tests and that's about it. But there are some foreign based hospitals in town such as French/Vientam hospital, Family Practice, SOS, and a few others that are quite good.

Violent crime rates are not a big problem but pickpockets and snatching wallets, purses and cameras are a problem in some areas. But always be on the lookout. I've been robbed a number of times by security guards who set me up. They are just as likely to cheat you as a street thug. The best advice is don't take a chance letting them see any of your valuables. I did and lost some expensive equipment to them. You have probably seen Phu My Hung in District 7. Supposed to be a safe place for foriegners but I learned the hard way that it isn't. My friend got mugged by a guy dressed up as a girl street walker. I was 50 feet ahead of him while crossing the main street in Phu My Hung. As near as we can figure is that a security guard inside the HSBC bank saw him use the ATM and he put cash in his wallet. Which is exactly where the mugger reach. The mugger went straight for the pocket with the wallet, took it out and raised it over his head to signal his motorbike getaway driver to come get him. It happened so fast. I saw it happen and fell down in the street chasing the robber. Just shows that things can even happen anywhere we feel safe. But you know that can happen in any big city.

Thanks mate for your advice..Its sad to hear that you had come across with such a thing, but its an experience learnt and an eye opener to many who read this post.
Well thanks for making me cautious. I shall also try to look out for the member you mentioned & hope if he reads my msg shall respond to me.

I'm planning to come with my wife & 9-month old son. But that decision of moving should take another couple of months after working out all pros & cons.

Also,I did have a few interactions with locals & was glad to see their patience to learn & respond to someone's needs. They are pretty helpful. I now need to experiment on some Vietnamese food to get accustomed to their culture. Hoping to do that in a few days.

Well i'm also trying to make some buddies here to grow my network,as its always good to keep making new friends. Hope I can count on you.

If possible lets catch up for a beer !! What say ??

Vishal

last night juz tried a massage..(Moderated: No free advertsing, Please)..anyone interested can PM me Cheers

Can a moderator delete this JKD character for unsolicited promotion?