Organized running events in Quito

Hey Everyone,

I'm new...I just moved to Ecuador from Denver, CO in January.  I've been traveling since then and will settle down in Tumbaco to teach English in a couple of weeks.

I was an avid runner before I came here.  But, with my ever-changing schedule I haven't kept up with it here.  I would like to find some organized races (5k, 10k, half marathons) in Quito to sign up for as an incentive to get going again.  But, I haven't had much luck googling races for 2016.  Does anyone know of a good resource to find out what is scheduled and how to sign up?

Thanks for your help!
-Becky

Might be what you are looking for.

http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/ecuador

Thanks, that one is helpful!  It lists one race coming up this summer.  If you have any other sources, feel free to pass them my way.

becky_22 wrote:

I've been traveling since then and will settle down in Tumbaco to teach English in a couple of weeks.

I would like to find some organized races (5k, 10k, half marathons) in Quito to sign up for as an incentive to get going again.  But, I haven't had much luck googling races for 2016.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Becky.

Since the nighttime run in August in Quito on "Ruta de las Iglesias" (Route of the Churches) is held once a year, you may  want to consider posting your own running event, which you could initiate at the Community section of the forum under Events / Plan an Event.  It could be an informal run at which you could exchange contact information.

Due to high altitude and pollution from buses, daytime running is not a big draw in the capital.  As you may know, the altitude is four thousand feet higher than in Denver.  The SAE hikers go outside the city of Quito for their hikes. 

If you run on your own in the meantime, it might be healthier. safer and more convenient to do so in Tumbaco than in the capital.

cccmedia

Thanks, that's great advice.  I hadn't thought about the altitude and polution as reasons that there aren't a lot of organized events.  I think there's a bike path in Tumbaco/Cumbaya that is great for running.  I'll look into it and think about planning an event :)

becky, almost every sunday morning there are races around la Carolina Park, you could check different running groups on Facebook....

That sounds great!  I'll check it out.  Thanks!

NeXT Race coming up soon in the area, 4-17-16 7am, Unasur 12K.

unasur12k.unasurg.org.

There's a 15 kilometer run scheduled for Sunday, September 11, beginning at 8:30 am in Quito. Registration closes August 31st. Participation fee is $25. You'll get a shirt, a participation chip, insurance coverage, and other benefits. Additional info is available at the official website below.

https://www.quitoultimasnoticias15k.ec/

There is a 10 kilometer night run that  I just learned about when I went outside today. It's called Rutas De Las Iglesias or Route of the churches. I know it's probably too late to join this year for preparation and registration purposes but it's good to be aware about it for anyone interested next year. Their website states they begin tomorrow night, but on Shyris there are runners now (6pm saturday) boarding buses. There's a lot of activity with cable and TV networks there as well as many organizers.

This is their website for additional info: https://www.rutadelasiglesias.com

What I want to know is how will this affect ciclopaseo or Sunday's bicycle day, that is held on Sundays in Quito where a long route from North to South is closed to traffic. Then again it's a night run, so probably no affect at all.

Hi there! I'm a keen runner too and I've actually discovered a lot of different options for running in Quito. I put together a blog post about it listing some different places to run and a few upcoming running events. I'd highly recommend taking part in the Ruta de las Iglesias. It's a very unique race!

blog.ailolaquito.com/2018/05/11/a-runners-guide-to-quito/