Pets relocation to Spain for non EU citizen

Hello all,
My husband and I are moving to Spain with our two cats. My husband is British, and I am American.
I read somewhere on the internet that when you bring your pets in order to pass customs with them, you have to show :
-proof of residence in Spain,
-work permit or
-a Rental agreement;
Three things that we will not have at arriving, we are retiring in Spain, so will not have work permit, i will rent initially just a vacation home, so no contract for rental of a long term house, and I am not a residence since I am American, I will eventually get my residence because of my husband, but not at arriving. I will travel first and my husband will join later, so I will pick the cats up.
Has anyone had a similar experience bringing their pets, and not being a EU citizen?
I would appreciate your feedback. Gracias
Claus

Claus,

My husband and I are in the process of submitting our visa applications to the Spanish Consulate.  As part of our research, we found information for traveling with our 3 cats.  We were informed that we would need to have all of them micro-chipped (with a very specific chip, so 2 need new chips), vaccinated for rabies at least 21 days prior to entry and have a licensed veterinarian complete the UE Annex IV certificate.  We are currently searching for a vet in our area who is authorized to do this.  No where did we find, nor were we told, that we need to provide proof of residence, work permit or a rental agreement.  Like you, we will not have any of these documents by the time we reach Spain.

If anyone knows differently, please advise.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn,
thanks for your reply. I am currently in Spain doing some research. I found out that if we take our cats as accompany baggage, we don't need much documentation, of course, the vaccination certificates yes, but maybe only if a government Vet is on duty at our arrival, he/she may check our cats microchip. It doesn't seem to be a strict procedure.  I will keep you posted. :)