US Citizens - Changing Name from Abroad

Hi all,

I've recently been married in the Netherlands and need to file for a name change. I understand the process for doing this while you're in the US (marriage certificate, drivers license, DMV, etc.) but what about from overseas? I no longer have a US driver's license since I turned it in to obtain a Dutch one.

I found the instruction on how to change my name on my passport but it doesn't say exactly that this is officially a legal name change, only that it will change your passport.

Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

Thank you,
Jillian

http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor … lands.html

Just to get a clear picture : you're from the USA and you married a Dutch in the Netherlands? And you want to change your name? Where,  USA or in the Netherlands?
And what kind of documents you want to change?

In the Netherlands you're allowed to use your husbands name and you can choose how you want to be called in the GBA, mail etc but in official documents your maiden name.

I think I would like to change my name for reasons of tax evasion. Is this possible? ROFL!

Hi, Jillian the best you can do Is asking to a lawyer because that'is an important matter  Goodluck............

JillianWyoming wrote:

Hi all,

I've recently been married in the Netherlands and need to file for a name change. I understand the process for doing this while you're in the US (marriage certificate, drivers license, DMV, etc.) but what about from overseas? I no longer have a US driver's license since I turned it in to obtain a Dutch one.

I found the instruction on how to change my name on my passport but it doesn't say exactly that this is officially a legal name change, only that it will change your passport.

Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

Thank you,
Jillian

Your passport can only be changed based on a legal name change (marriage, divorce, court order).  So once you change your name on your US passport, you will have an official US identity document showing your new name.  At that point, you can then change your Social Security Card (likely at the US embassy in NL), which means no tax evasion (sorry Luoda09), and then update any US banking/credit accounts and so on that you might have.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team