How to move to Berlin from Australia?- Web based business!

Hi All,

I am an Australian Citizen and have always dreamt of living in Europe to be closer to all the things I truely enjoy. I have had much difficulty finding a location in where it would meet my expectations, however recently I visited Berlin, and instantly fell in love with this beautiful city!

My question is what are some of the basic requirements before moving here? I run a web based business which generates sufficient and stable income, so it does not matter where I am located as long as I have wifi LOL. Do I require a certain amount in savings? What is the process based on my business??

I look forward to any replies and thank you in advance :)

Mumbles

You'd have to register a business in Germany (which involves a certain amount of paperwork) and get a work visa based on that. I am not sure how difficult this is for a non-EU citizen. Also, be aware of the health insurance (approx. €350/month) and tax (30-50% of your income)  costs.

Hi beppi!
Thank you for your response.
My  business operates out of Australia primarily but provides a steady income which can cater to to the costs of living in Germany. Another question would be that if it is a web based business, why do I need to register? Can't I just provide documentation for proof of income?

You need a reason for getting a residence visa. Work (also for your own business) can be such a reason. Just desiring to live in Germany is not.
In addition, any kind of paid work requires a work permit. You can work for and get paid by a foreign employer without a presence in Germany, but that makes things more complicated in terms of tax, social security and other regulations (and you still have to register as freelancer).
Also, once you are resident here, you need to tax your world income at German rates (no matter where and how it is paid). If a bilateral tax treaty exists (check this!), it usually determines the tax liability in the country where you live and the work is actually done. If none exists and your home country also requires taxation,, you might get double taxed. Consult a good international tax consultant!

Hi Beppi,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in reply.

Are there any good websites to look at for registering to work as a freelancer in Germany? I do not mind the tax and all that comes along with this in Germany. But will definitely be contacting a tax consultant on this. have you have any experience with this??

You need to register at the trade registry office (Gewerbeamt) of the town you will reside at.
There are various webpages for freelancers in Germany - search for "freiberuflich" (=freelancing).

Thanks beppi for all your advice. Will look into this now

Hey Mumbles,
Maybe I have some information for that can help you.
Please email me and I can tell you more.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

@tropical67

For security reasons please do not post personal contact details on the open forum. Use the PM system for this

@ tropical67 > If you have some information that can help members, i invite you to post them on the forum please so that everybody can benefit from them. :)

Thanks,

Priscilla

I have PM'ed the user will see how it goes!
Thanks for all the advice people :)