Marry Greek National

I :) I am an American getting married to a Greek national and need to know what paperwork will be required. We are looking to have a civil ceremony. I want to make sure we have everything needed as this will be an big event for us and our families.  Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Hoping your love for one another is stronger than the bureaucracy you are getting in...   :o  There is really no telling what they can ask you. Passports, maybe translated, proof of address,  are the most common but it depends on the employee.

Once you have all of paper work translated and complete. Dose anyone know how long you have before they expire prior to the wedding. We do not want do the paper work twice. Thanks for any information

I think that internationally it is valid for at least 6 months. In Greece i don't know the situation. I am EU member and married a Greek and we did it as soon as everything was ready. There must be different scales of applicable laws regarding nationality. I mean other for asian,arabic,EU,USA etc... They ask different things according to nationality.

Thanks for the information. We just did not want to do some stuff and then have them expire while we wait. I guess we will just try to do everything together. Cannot wait to be with her and her family in Crete. Thanks again.

Wishing you the best! I suppose that away from Athens, in another city, the things get done much easier though.

As far as I was concerned, was simple, we did a civil marriage at the municipality, they required birth certificate, passport, certificate that I was not married before. All translated in greek and certified. The ceremony took half hour . Signed the paper and left. After 3 months I received the residency and work permit.

Thank you. We did you get your paperwork completed. I was married before and have my divorce papers. Will I need them also. We are trying to get married in June and just want to know how much time we have.

Yes , I guess you will need your divorce papers for sure. From what I know the civil marriage is easy and not that much complicated. The best thing is to check with the municipality where you intend to get married . Is it in athens or somewhere else?

We will bet married in Crete, Chania. Do you know if they do the translation at the embassy in Athens and how long does it takes. We both are so excited and ready to start out new life together.  Any information that you can provide will be grateful.  Thanks in advance

I guess that as your future wife is Greek and lives here she then she would be the one to find out everything from the local government offices,a few visits and phone calls and you would both know all that you need to know,so much easier if ones future spouse is Greek.

yes she did it all and found out what we need to do. We are both excited now that we have all of the information. Just got to get it all done.  Thanks