4000 CHF/month for 2 people: thoughts please?

Hello everybody!

Let me introduce myself. I'm a brazilian Mathematician interested in Computational Neurodynamics. My wife's a Russian sociologist.

I'll start my Ph.D in the EPFL and get a scholarship of (about) 4000 CFH/month. Is that amount enough for a modest (but decent) standard of living of  2 people? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

My wife works as web designer (HTML, CSS, etc), usually freelancing / consulting. Any ideas about how "hot" is that market in Switzerland?

Thank you!

Angelo

Hello Angelo  :)

I invite you to check out this thread : Cost of living in Switzerland – 2015

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Thanks!

Sincerely??? Very hard...

Your 4000CHF, it is probably brutto, so, you must remove at last 400-500CHF...So, it remains 3500CHF

At least 1500CHF for accomodation, 500CHF for health insurance, 100CHF for phone, internet, TV tax, about 500CHF for food per month, and all other taxes for bins, etc...

4000 chf/month will allow you to live at a bare basic level in Switzerland, but will hardly allow for any extras. Switzerland is expensive, particularly living (accomodation) in the cities. The amounts mentionned above by Steffifi are realistic and are indeed "minimal" amounts you need.

I work in Relocation agency and it's true that the 1500.- Frs is correct for 2 - 2.5 rooms apartment which means one bedroom and one setting room.
You should start 2 months before your arrival searching an apartment.

If you can live in student accommodation for about 1000 a month.
And cook all your meals yourself you may get a long.
You won't have much social life.
You won't be able to do a vacation in Russia or Brazil.
Your wife may or may not get a work permit.
If your university does not offer you a place to stay, you better do your doctorate at another place.
If your wife gets a work permit, and if she catches a job, she will earn more money than you.

Yes it will be hard. You can live in the countryside cheaper than the city, but add travel costs. Better to share a flat with others, then you can learn a lot from them. See www.wg.ch
Since your wife is not E.U., she may not get a working permit even though both sociology and web interface design are very useful. Look for something for her at the University. They give help for international students - see http://www.unibe.ch/university/organiza … x_eng.html