New here

Hi everyone, just joined.  We are interested in exploring PR as a place to have a vacation/retirement home, and know absolutely nothing about the island, but getting good reports from friends. Would be interested in visiting to check it out.  We are just a couple of old hippies who won't go away. 
Currently living in PA and can use all the advice you have
Many thanks
Chris

This site has a little information to get you started http://welcome.topuertorico.org
Navigate the links to get some info to get started. Also read the different subjects in the forum to gain a lot of information.
Feel free to ask questions

Welcome Chris,

You've come to the right place.  Read all the stuff that is of interest to you and than ask any questions you may have. 

We recently moved here and love the weather!  If you decide to visit I suggest take a couple weeks and drive around the island.  Explore all sides and the central high lands.  Stop by and visit us if you have time, we love company! (We are in Hatillo) 🌴

If you visit the South Coast in the Ponce area I will show you aound.

Old hippies seem to like Rincon. Check it out.

In the south west Rincon Isabela Aguadilla are full of mainland people who came to visit and made it their home, in the metro area Old San Juan might be interesting places google them, more than happy to help in owning a piece of paradise

FYI Rincon Isabela Aguadilla are in the north west, not the south west.

Hi Chrisrock,
When are you planing on coming to the island?
Some of the members want to show you around.

Not sure yet still in the planning stages

I would recommend to stay at least 2 days in each of the major areas of PR. 2 days in Condado or Isla Verde (metro tourist area), Maybe also check out Dorado for 1 day, Fajardo area and the Viequez or Culebra Islands (2 or 3 days), Ponce for a day or 2, Rincon / Isabela / Cabo Rojo areas for 2-3 days. You will need a car for sure.

I would recommend checking AirBNB for each of those areas and just rent a few days in each area so you can see what is there and do not have to travel far each day.

Get with the members in the forum and have them take you around and show you what is life like in each of those areas.

You called yourself hippies, not sure if you are city hippies or down to nature types, if down to nature you may also want to check some of the towns in the center of the island or at least some of the locations 10-20 minutes from a beach for country/nature living.