How important is having a car?

Hello all -  I'm an American with dual Irish citizenship, and have been seriously pursuing some employment opportunities in Ireland.  I'm thinking that what I'd like to do is work in one of the larger cities (Dublin or Galway, preferably), but live in a smaller community and commute into work.  I'd rather not live in a bigger city, partly due to the higher cost of living, but also because I just prefer living in a smaller town.

I know that the public transportation system in Ireland is far superior to what we have in the USA, but I'm wondering how convenient it would be to rely on the bus or train system to get myself to work every day?  I'd probably try to look at living in a smaller town on a main train or bus line within a hour or so of Dublin or Galway.

Do you think its possible to survive this way without owning a car?  I understand that the process of getting a license in Ireland can be complicated, and financially I wouldn't want to have to purchase a vehicle shortly after arriving in the country.

Any thoughts or advice?  Thanks!

Hi !

I'm gonna move to Dublin next month. I have my driving licence but don't have a car. I've been looking for the bus and it is not that bad. Besides, when you want to go in the city centre, car parks are quite expensive.

I think that you really need a car when you wanna go to the supermarket or in the country but if you stay in Dublin, you won't need one.

That's my opinion !

Good luck !

AG

It depends where you find accommodation. If you want to live an hour away from the city center in Dublin and commute every day then you should look for a place that is walking distance to either a dart stop (intercity train) or a luas stop (tram.) The bus system is far more prone to delays because of traffic and there is no accurate time table displayed at bus stops.

Galway only has buses so if you decide to move to a small town an hour away from it will be difficult to find a frequent and reliable service.  That said if you do some more research it might be doable.