Environmental protection in Honduras

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Honduras?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Honduras.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Sadly, in Honduras economy is above environmental protection.
There are many Natl. Parks, Protected Areas, Wildlife refuges, etc. but its all in paper only.
Now, coffee growers can go to a "protected" cloud forest mountain and use the nucleus or most important, untouched forest to plant coffee. I saw this in Reserva Biologica El Chile and Reserva Misoco. I understand it can be done on any mountain now.

A dangerous place for environmentalists. Even forest rangers are afraid, because they are threatened if they enter into certain parts of protected lands.

It goes beyond the parks; as well.  They are pesticiding all the beaches, especially West Bay and resort areas to get rid of sand flies and spraying right where you walk through the sand.  I know I go to pristine places to get away from this and this is why I opted out of investing in Hawaii (due to brownstoning) and now it's come to Roatan.  It truly saddens me.  The last thing I want when I want to enjoy natural beauty is to walk away with my feet and legs covered with cancerous pesticide; not to mention you then swim in it - and then it's justified by them saying the "gov" allows it and sanctioned it.

Was not aware of this! Thanks for sharing!