Environmental protection in Colombia

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Colombia?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Colombia.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Personally I save all plastics, paper, glass and cans (mostly beer ;). In about a week I have enough to take to Memo at Carrera 42 y Calle 38A in Envigado. Memo collects and sorts and recycles these items. It is a small step, but if we all did this...

When I lived in Medellin I noticed that the City was usually very clean and my neighbors recycled.   In Bucaramanga,  not so much.    In Barranquilla,  NOT AT ALL..  The  drainage canals are filled on a daily basis with old furniture, garbage bags, boxes, crates, clothing, cans, bottles,construction materials and more.  These canals empty into the Magdalena River which flows into the Atlantic Ocean. I live 2 blocks from a large drainage canal.  It is 30-40 feet wide with concrete sides close to 20 feet tall.  Once a year (yesterday)  2 bobcats (machines with a bucket on the front) spent 10 hours moving, pushing, and loading the debris into dump trucks.  More than 100 loads were removed.  To where,  I can only imagine.   Today,  I walked over the same canal pedestrian bridge and saw  mattresses, an old TV,  boxes, and garbage all over the ground.  It only took 1 night to re start the pollution cycle.   The people here throw paper, plastic, glass, and whatever in the streets without thinking about it.   This is not an Eco friendly City.

But as you said it is cleaner than some other places. I think the air pollution is probably as bad but again no different from other cities. My thinking is the cleanliness is patchy. Casual recycling causes problems when bags are ransacked but the metro and metroplus  are spotless abdomen the roads around the city are variable too.