Environmental protection in the Bahamas

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in the Bahamas?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in the Bahamas.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

I am on one of the Family Islands, where there is no recycling whatsoever of anything.  As a European it pains me to put everything in the bin.

Glass, tin, paper, card, it all goes to the dump. I believe there may be a little recycling in Nassau.

The government has gone part way to encouraging the use of solar power by cutting duty on panels etc but there are restrictions on private individuals feeding back into the grid.

Crazy when you know how the Bahamas suffers with power generation, you'd think the government would be grateful for anything that takes the pressure off them. 

As for waste management, we have dumps/landfills which frequently catch fire, giving off noxious gases affecting the local inhabitants.

There is plenty of potential here for rain water collection to ease the use of underground supplies, solar power, even wind power. 

On this island there is no public transport, except school buses. I dont know if Nassau has any.   

A recycling facility would provide jobs and they dont even need to do it all here, just collect. 

They could learn from the Caymans.