Environmental protection in Austria

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Austria?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Austria.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Hi Kenjee!
I think Austria was one of the first countries in Europe to think of recycling in any format. Certainly after the 2nd world war, Austria introduced a deposit bottle recycling scheme for large use bottles such as beer and lemonade. Beer is still done today either single or by the crate full, and all large supermarkets have a recycling point instore. Yoghurt pots are also recyclable at the same point. You get 0.09 eurocents per beer bottle, and 0.17 euro cents for a yoghurt glass jar in the form of a voucher, which you redeem against the purchases at the till point.
Ecycling otherwise varies considerably from district to district. Here in Schladming garden and food waste, plastics, tins, and cardboard are recycled by various means. In Graz they get three different wheely bins for recycling material. Vienna is different again with old paper and cardboard recyclable in most blocks of apartments, and you have to locate the nearest bottle bank to your neighbourhood usually within easy walking distance.
THey have wind power in Austria, and most of their power comes from hydro power stations. Gas is not so much used here in Austria. Solar power is also used, as well as wood pellets (Austria has a lot of forests, which are maintained and replanted). A lot of the older apartment blocks use oil fired boilers for heating, but then oil at present is very low in price.
Hope this has helped
Rod

Most of the so called Green things like recycling are a farce in Austria esp. Plastic no one has a clue! The same with cars and Trucks the only half green thing is public transport, good in the City of Vienna has to be since no where to park or any real regulations trucks park every where on the streets over night most companies send their vehicles home with the people who work so block the streets and use up unnecessary fuel, the police don't seem to have a clue of illegal trucks see them everywhere overloaded and not maintained especially from other countries. It's Balcan so what do you expect?? So as perhaps no one will notice

It kinda depends on where you live really... Tirol, Upper Austria and a few others are really good. I find that, where the higher density of native Austrians is, it is cleaner. That may sound a little racist, but it is just my opinion. I only ever see Austrians at the recycling depots, sorting through their trash and waste, and every now and then I see a Norwegian too :P

The environment here is very much something that they take seriously in the countryside areas. I go hiking almost every day and have seen plenty of people, myself included, cleaning up after tourists and have also seen initiatives where they go out and find people who are littering on hiking trails and in the town centers and give them a 'slice of local opinion'.

The recycling systems are good-great in most areas, but it becomes difficult for the people handling the process to do the recycling correctly as most people just throw whatever they want wherever they want instead of correctly separating the waste.

In the cities it is certainly a lot harder to enforce rules and regulations about the recycling system, but In the area that I currently live I have received a fine twice now for disposing of my waste incorrectly at the depot, and once leaving a battery in my mixed waste trash.

As for green etc. Austria is investing tons of money at the moment to create eco buildings (Buildings that give more power back to the grid than they take), you can see a perfect example of one or two near the Nachsmarkt in Vienna.

There are still a few kinks in terms of how every person here needs a car, but it is improving, and the country has already taken massive steps towards putting the infrastructure down that is required to make a 'green' land, moving forward I think we will see some great things. There are some stats for last years green power initiatives on the government site worth looking at, it you are researching. They reflect some incredible advances, nearly 70 something% of the country already has the capability to run with green energy sources alone.

In terms of simple mentality, I would say the Austrians are well ahead of many countries. They care for their environment greatly, you can see this in most areas of Austria, cities of Vienna and Salzburg excluded.

A great example: My wife, a friend and I managed to retrieve 2 trash bags full of waste whilst hiking after a tour group of Americans came through early that morning and had littered tissues, cans of energy drinks and food wrappings etc. along their way. We went to the recycling depot, and the man there asked us from where this all came, so we told him the whole story and about 10 minutes later the police had gone to the gasthof in   town where they were staying and had straightened them out, and given the tour leader a hefty fine.

Future sustainability of the forests is also not bad, I have seen plenty of places where they are cultivating new forest, and even met a ranger once who complained that people keep walking off of the paths and stepping on the sprucelings (I think that is what he called the young trees that were beginning to grow). They are smart enough to only allow hunters to certain privileges with their licenses, and even that is very limited compared to other countries.

Oddly enough, most of the local initiatives are just locals that see each other on the trail, or around town and then at a pub, strike up a conversation and suddenly there is a small trash militia that goes out every Saturday to pick up all the crap left behind by tourists and young oblivious teenagers :P

The churches used to be rather heavily involved, from what I have read and heard from friends and family here, but lately (The last 15 years) they have taken massive steps back because their resources are dwindling and they need to focus on maintaining what they have. (I find this hard to believe, as even now, my wife has to give money monthly to the church, and nothing has changed anywhere in the last 5 years :P) But hey, that's the kindling for a religious debate best kept off the forums :D

I hope this helped you, and have an awesome day ahead!