Before arriving to Libya

What one piece of advice do you wish you'd had?

Don't come?

Are you asking or answering.. we need an answer

Bring LOTS of home brew kit :P This forum helped a lot for me prior to coming out. But NOTHING can really prepare you for life in Tripoli/Libya, it is so different to what I was accustomed to in Scotland. The summers are great, plenty of beach/pool time, but this winter (being colder than last) is kind of boring.

...you're libyan, living in Zillah ( libya's b***hole ) and you need advice about coming to...libya ?!?!! WTF !!!

i think you're past brewing and well into distillation :sick

and perhaps you should change display name into "Patient X" :D

redsaraya wrote:

...you're libyan, living in Zillah ( libya's b***hole ) and you need advice about coming to...libya ?!?!! WTF !!!

i think you're past brewing and well into distillation :sick

and perhaps you should change display name into "Patient X" :D

:top::lol: Red you are rapidly overtaking Mo in the smart comments race. I await a response from Mo :proud

Clansman wrote:

:top::lol: Red you are rapidly overtaking Mo in the smart comments race. I await a response from Mo :proud

:whistle:

Even better yet:

100 25kg swings
75 burpees
75 7kg wall balls
50 60kg deadlifts
50 tuck jumps
35 35kg thrusters
25 chest-to-bar pullups
25 elevated clap-pushups
----------------------------
spread over 5 sets

:whistle:

Did somebody drop a pin? or was it a needle?
I'm so awesome!

Hello dear members,

Normally, you all participate & contribute well in other discussions, and you have helped lot of members by responding to their queries.

However, I notice in this particular discussion that no one is willing to help DoctorX. :( Why aren't you not helping him! You are teasing him instead :(

Hello to everyone,  I'm here in BG.  I have been here for 5 days now and all I have done is visit and eat.  In answer to your question, my feelings are right now that I should have brought a spare stomach!  hahaha you are not going to believe this... right on que someone has brought me cookies!  It is hard to believe that just a couple of weeks ago i had a suitcase packed full of food - good thing i decided against it because of the weight.  So far, everything seems great and i am not in need of anything other than a workout routine before i gain 50 lbs.  I must comment on one thing that i experienced here... my friend cut her finger and we went to the hospital.  Unlike the US emergency room or doc in a box, we were in and out within 20 minutes!  (stitches and everything)unbelievably at no cost! dont know if that is routine experience but if we are talking about things that should be brought to Libya, I thought it would be interesting to speak of things that should be brought to the US from Libya.  20 minute free emergency stitches would be high on the list.  I'll keep ya' posted on stuff that i wish i had from home as the need arises :)

GIS are you here to visit and leave or are you here to stay for a while?

MoEl wrote:

GIS are you here to visit and leave or are you here to stay for a while?

...oh,oh...watch out guys, Moel is going for a "head start"...

Is there nothing of permanence here in Libya for those who are not Libyan?  My choices do not seem to indicate so.  But to give an honest answer to the question, I will just say that the amount of time that I spend  in Libya (or anywhere else for that matter) is not in my hands.

My one piece of advice, above all others;
NEVER, EVER  trust a Libyan no matter how superficially friendly and "stand up" they seem, as an expat you are merely a "mark"
Glad I'm out :cool:

Twango wrote:

NEVER, EVER  trust a Libyan no matter how superficially friendly and "stand up" they seem, as an expat you are merely a "mark"

this is what I call ignorance...

mancunian wrote:

Aaahh! The persuasive eloquence of the Libyan art of hurling insults.
How proper!

I prefer "experience"

GISgirl wrote:

Is there nothing of permanence here in Libya for those who are not Libyan?  My choices do not seem to indicate so...the amount of time that I spend  in Libya (or anywhere else for that matter) is not in my hands.

I don't know what you can mean by this.

But I asked because the experiences of those who merely visit the country as opposed to the experiences of those who live and work in Libya (even briefly) vastly differ.

You sound like you belong to the former group. But I could be wrong.

MoEl wrote:
mancunian wrote:

How proper!

we're still waiting on your comment on that one....oh! but wait you actually agree!?

yadayadayada wrote:
MoEl wrote:
mancunian wrote:

How proper!

we're still waiting on your comment on that one....oh! but wait you actually agree!?

of course he agrees, Mr. Morad El (the POS US citizen) enjoys and supports every single negative comment about Libyans.

and look who's talking about the art of hurling insults.

I haven't been here long enough for my rose colored glasses to fog.  I am here because I want to be here... not because my company sent me.  I am also not a serial expat so I have nothing to compare this experience to. I have as yet to deal with officials.... well except for the airport who decided to keep my passport for a couple of days.  No harm no foul.  Anyways, I guess my question is a bit pointed in that i wonder if for those of us who are not Libyan, is there any desire for permanence  (love for this place)?

GISgirl wrote:

I haven't been here long enough for my rose colored glasses to fog.  I am here because I want to be here... not because my company sent me.  I am also not a serial expat so I have nothing to compare this experience to. I have as yet to deal with officials.... well except for the airport who decided to keep my passport for a couple of days.  No harm no foul.  Anyways, I guess my question is a bit pointed in that i wonder if for those of us who are not Libyan, is there any desire for permanence  (love for this place)?

an expat would be better equipped to answer your question but i think it really depends on your personality and what you make out of what is available here...
I hope you enjoy yourself while your here:)

Twango wrote:

SamakaUK, do you have any thing to say here??

Another discussion turning into Expats vs Libyans ? This is getting tiring ...

(please let me know if I should close this discussion)

Julien wrote:

...i completely agree with you Julien.

come on guys a little healthy debate never hurt anyone!!

surely ... but constant "little healthy debates" doesn't help expatriates to settle down / live better in Libya

Julien wrote:

I do not know. I saw some harsh comments but I do not want to reply on them coz I dun care. I just asked a simple question and see where we are now. I think this is a human nature.

Found something.... lack of ATM machines...I would bring a more convenient way of getting cash and paying for stuff.  I know cash is king here but for one who is used to using a card for EVERYTHING it will take a bit of getting used to - making sure i always have cash....this is going to take some rearranging of grey matter on my part!

Yeah, you have to totally change your habits on that one.  Cash only, which can be a real hassle at times. Always have to have some around for the unexpected because sometimes the machines they do have are not working. :/