Dog Registration in Feng Xian Area South of Shanghai

Hello,

There are a lot of articles online talking about Shanghai not allowing dogs over 35cm tall, and huge campaigns to seize large dogs and kill them, even if they're registered. I have begun to suspect that most of these articles are simply propaganda, but maybe they are true… I am from the USA, and in 2 months I will be going to China for a 3 year work contract. I will live and work in the Fengxian area south of Shanghai. I have a 27kg golden retriever that is of course ABOVE 35cm tall. I have already made arrangements with a company to help me bring the dog to Shanghai and do the 7 day quarantine. Then I want to register my dog at the Fengxian police department. Is there anything I need to worry about with registering my dog in Fengxian? What exact documents would I need? I will eventually get a residence permit, but is it possible to register the dog before I receive my residence permit? It will be scary to walk the dog while I am waiting to get my residence permit, before the dog can get registered… Do you offer assistance in getting the dog registration card?

Thank you,
Zach

Hi Zach!
We moved to Shanghai last month with our 70 pound labrador. I also was so nervous, but it's not so bad! Once you arrive you need to take your dog to a government run vet and get another rabies shot, even though your dog has already likely gotten it to enter the country. You need to ensure your dog is chipped because that's the first thing they'll check. Once he's got his vaccination, you'll need to register with the police near your house. We had a relocation company help us with this, because it's not straightforward how that's done. You can't just walk in. You need an appointment, and some sort of certificate from the vet where you got the rabies vac.
I walked my dog before I got the police registration, and I've never had any issues. I always carry his records with me just in case anyone stopped us.
The biggest problem is that people are often terrified of larger dogs. Even though ours is so gentle, people literally scream and jump when they see him. I also get awkward looks and stares all the time, it's quite annoying. But then there the odd person who smiles at you and your dog and all seems ok again:)
Not all parks welcome dogs, so it took me a few weeks to scout places where I could take him and not worry about it.
Hope this helps, Good luck with the move.
Carrie