New Rules For Airport Wheels

I've been using airport wheels (the type not attached originally to a piece of luggage) for decades, and today -- here at the airport in Montevideo, Uruguay -- was the first time that airport security's boarding checkpoint refused to allow me to board the plane with them.

"¿Están confiscándolas?"  I asked the taciturn woman who stepped up to tell me that such wheels are now banned at her airport.  (Are you confiscating them?)

"Si, señor."

Fortunately, there was virtually no line anywhere at this airport and so I had plenty of time to go back past the security screening area and arrange for my airline, Aerolineas, to send the wheels on to my connecting airport in Buenos Aires, Argentina, along with checked luggage.  There was no charge even though I already had checked two bags earlier -- and paid $60 ($6 US per pound for ten pounds) for excess luggage weight.

Then it was back to security for a second total screening.

The take-aways for me are the following, going forward:

1.  Pack anything that's not light in checked luggage.

2.  Consider replacing my current carry-on bag with one that has wheels.  These were not banned at MVD.

3.  If desiring to board with wheels, ask at the airline counter and/or the entrance to security-boarding as to a specific airport's wheels rules, not waiting until having already been screened.

cccmedia at Montevideo International Airport in Montevideo, Uruguay

I see people will cases for carry on luggage and always wonder if they're mad.
Cases are heavy, so much of your allowance is taken up by the case.
Add the pain in the arse a case is when wandering around an airport, and you have the reason I consider the sanity of people who use them.
I travel with a non framed rucksack, so almost all of my weight allowance is the stuff I actually want with me.
That and it pops on my back so I don't have to bother with wheels.
Ah, comes the answer, the spare shirt will crease, so you'll look like you slept in it,
Nope, you roll clothes up rather than fold them, so no creases.
If you use a larger (but still within carry on luggage specification) backpack, you can do away with check in luggage for most trips, saving all that messing around waiting for your bags to turn up, or finding your socks are in Vancouver.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR