Moving to Boracay

I'm considering taking up a job offer in Boracay, but I would like some info from expats who have young kids there or just live on the island.  What' s the cost of living there, for example, rentals, food, etc.

Try www.numbeo.com

Hi Mel11,

I've been living on the island for three years. Coming from the States things are cheap. Compared to the rest of the Philippines, however, prices are quite high. Housing is particularly expensive here, but if you look around and negotiate well you can find deals. On average I would say that a 2-bedroom apartment would be around 20-30k PHP,  (425-640 USD) a month.  Also, things like food and produce are especially expensive relative to other parts of the Philippines. As long as you are flexible with your diet and eat local produce as opposed to imported food you will be okay. As an international school teacher here my salary and package took a massive hit compared to most places, but I stayed for three years for a reason. The beaches are spectacular and the people are lovely. I lived a very simple but comfortable life as a single here, although as a family I imagine it will be more difficult.

I am leaving next year for professional development and financial reasons, such as the fact that I need to start paying back student loans which would be impossible here.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

-Brittany

Boracay is paradise, but not very big.
There is a very decent international school for when you have young kids.
Cost of living is higher than in other parts of the Philippines.

Hi Britany

We definitely need to talk in greater detail. I have been offered a teaching position on the island and I have a few concerns.  Is it possible to chat somewhere more secure like skype or facebook?

Sure, I would be happy to chat more. I'll PM you my details.