Sould i speak German to find a work in Switzerland?

Hello friends!
I just want to ask how would it be possible for me to look for a job there in Switzerland. I am working here in Singapore but I am from the Philippines. I have a friend there in Zurich. He told me that it is impossible for me to look for a job in Switzerland because I don't know  how to speak in  german langauage. Is it true?  Thank you..  :)

Hello BernadetteV and welcome on the forum of Expat.com

I invite you to read out articles in our Living in Switzerland guide to best prepare your expatriation project.

Concerning your job hunt, please create your cv in the appropriate section of the site : Jobs in Zurich

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Thank you very much! I will read...=)

Yes.. Misss its true german languages are the most important her.. Im from phils. To .. And im now in Switzerland .. God blessed kabayan.

Jurgenia

his is one of the most common questions I get asked when I talk to job seekers in Switzerland. It's long overdue to write about this topic. I will give you my insights from my experience and from what people tell me that successfully secured a job in Switzerland as an English speaker.

In case you want to learn more about how to get a job in Switzerland as an English speaker, I highly recommend to download the Career Excellence Toolkit for Switzerland.

That depends on the work you are looking for and the place in Switzerland you want to work.
Switzerland has several official languages. About 2/3 of the population speaks German (with a strong dialect), mainly in the middle, the north and the east of the country (Basel, Berne, Zurich, Lucerne, St. Gallen, Chur are all german speaking). The western part (Geneva, Lausanne) speaks french, in some southern parts, Italian is spoken (Bellinzona, Lugano, Locarno).

If you want to find a local job, in which you have to work with and for local people, it will be incredibly helpful if you speak the local language. If you are looking for work in an "international" environment, like one of the many NGOs in Geneva, Lausanne or Zurich, or at a university or a multinational, English may do for the work, but without the local language it will be hard to integrate with the local population.

My personal opinion is, that one should learn the local language as a kind of respect to the country you want to live in. 

Rumantsch is a very small language spoken in five valleys high in the mountains. Though you will sometimes see the language (on banknotes, for example), you will not need it. Anyone with Rumantsch as mother tongue (and there are only few of them) will also speak and understand German or Italian.

Thank you. It helps very much. =) I appreciate it.

Thank you! I will. It helps too. =)

Yes its true.but u can learn here.

Thank u...