Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

Robberies in Tamarindo

I just had to leave Costa Rica asap   so changed my dates of departure...I stayed at Marrey\ZullyMar hotel in Tamarindo and was robbed $6,000us ,100,000colones and 200$Ca
the son of owner came to help me with the old safe and saw the money...two days later il was gone
I wonder who did it since only the father,daughter and son had a copy of the key...
and then a week prior to my  departure , my deceased mother and sister's delicate gold chains, stolen with my watch and   2 new pairs of sunglasses...
Another room was also robbed in the safe....Managment changed the locks to the safe but still have a copy of the key....This hotel is far from being secure
Plus the noise on the street  with the clubs make it difficult to rest and sleep...
This hotel Marrey  is where Budget rent a car is also situated.accross the wonderful restaurant La Palapa and the Cabinas ZullyMar just beside it is great, nothing to do with the dispicable ways of the MarRey hotel
As I told my story to friends in town, I heard of so many other robberies
So sad Such a beautiful Nature....may the nature of Ticos and Ticas take a path of little more honesty and not see us as open bank accounts to just dig in ...we are a joke to them,   
moniica Peloquin from Montreal,Quebec

Very sorry to hear this.
Did you report this to the police? Or I should say the OIJ, who are responsible for the investigation, when over a certain amount.

yes to the local Tourist police     but only the jewllery is insured  not the money stolen

please how can I correct the title Robberies ? I try edit but it 's only fo the text? thanks

You should have reported it to the OIJ, but if you are now out of the country, it may be  impossible to do so. If you  can contact the tourist police, ask them if they reported it to the OIJ. These officers are the 'real deal' who check for fingerprints, etc.
I don't understand though why you had such a large amount of cash ... especially now with the ease of getting funds out of an ATM.
Suggest you write a 'letter to the editor' on one of the online papers such as amcostarica or qcostarica that will bring attention to the 'lack of security' at the hotel.
Good luck.

Shame no ioone warned yuou of lack of safety in both Tamarindo and Caribbean coast BUT honestly anyoone bring that amount of cash and jewelry to a 3rd world country is ASKING for troublle ,...There are safer places to live here where I have lived for 25 years (Heredia Hills
Many people come here with a false sence of security and do noot do their homework prior ..Sorry for your  loss

yes I had a large amount I took out of my bank account to have a good price on implants and the hotel wanted cash....never again of course
and to take fingerprints means
I would have to move away from the hotel at once
hire a lawyer to defend my position
make war in the hotel
live stress up to a point I can't take at my age, and alone
I had friends to whom this happened and they told me how much the lawyer costed
how much time it took with police, lawyer,going back and forth to Liberia and Santa Cruz and yet it was in the car so not having to make your 3 months suitcases and leave ....and to go where??? I tried ,beleive me not an easy task    TAke prints? all of the staff mentionnedhad  come into the room    so then Play Sherlock Holmes ??? I am a journalist and therapist....I had many options, I choose the one that could let me breathe until I ran out of air and flew to peaceful Montreal . It's cold yet my people make me feel at ease with their warm  openess....The Ticos are friendly and sometimes to come nearer to you and your belongnigs so to easier take them from you...It,s a way of equalizing their minimal gain with work ata $2 an hour. I feel compassion for them , forgive the poor yet not the  rich management.

I am a world traveler and journallist at one time in the travel world
My chains were small not show offs, delicate souvenirs of my loved ones and one night I took them off for a massage ...the next morning ...gone
and the cash ,yes of course never again but it was for a better price on teeth work...
The management came into my room, into my safe so It's my lack of jugement that I let him helped me with the old safe so it would open....now I know no to trust even them....really sad.
I am happy for you who had not any such experience.
I am still in love with Nature of Costa Rica, a little less with the nature of some of their workers who might be upset with our lifestyle while they are woking hard for little...
i understand
monica

Wow, as a world traveller, I must say I surprised that you would think that a prudent thing to do. Hotel safes are slightly more secure than putting it under your mattress.  I'm sorry for your loss.

Most people think that the main sport of Tamarindo is surfing, but it's actually ripping off tourists.  I live 10 minutes from there, and I go there once a month if I have to. The rest of the coast, however,  is beautiful and less touristy.

PS the $2 per hour is WELL outdated ....whatever "they " say

Tamarindo has the highest rate for missing Gringos in all of Costa Rica.

ys $2.00 an hour at my hotel Marrey since I speak  Spanish fluently , am journalilst and therapist, I like to get close to staff,taxi drivers, restaurant owners and servers etc

monica from montreal

$2 an hour is illegal but after owning a hotel I know that staff LIE so that tourists feel sorry for them and tip more I had MUCh experience with this...But you can not stop them from telling lies .I wish I had a dime for every time a tourist asked me why I only pay $2 NOT TRUE...they have a minimum wage scale depending on what type of work they  do.
Ask a lawyer.

Any employee, both legal or illegal can go and report to the labor board, their complaints regarding salary, working conditions, non-payment of CAJA or INS....and they usually win.

Unfortunately, unemployment is high and most employees do nothing as they don't want to lose their job...until they quit or are laid off.

IT IS SAD THAT YOU EXPERIENCED SUCHAN ORDEAL AND YES IT IS ALMOST NATURAL FOR TICOS AT LEAST IN THE BEACH AREA TO THINK AND DO AS THEY DO. I HAVE LIVED HERE IN THE SAN RAMON AREA FOR OVER 8 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. 99% OF MY FRIENDS ARE TICOS AND THEY TREAT ME WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT

rethinking our  interest in living  in costa Rica, checking other places  like  central Florida great retirement  also some coastal cities like Mrytle Beach  s.C.

Good for you.  If you are already having second thoughts Costa Rica is not for you.  Some of us thrive, some go home, some stay and are unhappy and others like yourself might save two out of the three possibilities.
Cheers .... Terry

hello  and thank you for caring to reply
I heard of San Remon as an international community?
is it in a mountain area?
monica

San Ramon sits at around the 3000 foot altitude similar to where we live and I consider us to be in the mid mountain range.  Monteverde for example is around 4700 feet above sea level.  Hello from a fellow Canadian (Alberta)
Cheers .... Terry

YES ABOUT 45 MINUTES FROM THE AIRPORT  GOOGLE SAN RAMON ALAJUELA COSTA RICA

I LIVED IN FLORIDA FOR 30 YEARS -MIAMI  HIALEAH DANIA   ORLANDO  SARASOTA   AND BRADENTON.ALL ARE EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH  RENTAL ARE VERY EXPENSIVE NOT TO MENTION CAR INS  ELECTRIC ETC I GOT TIRED OF IT AND FIRST VISITED CR IN 1993.  WILL NEVER GO BACK TO USA EXCEPT TO VISIT MY CHILDREN FROM MY X OR CONNECT IN ATLANTA OR LOS ANGELES TO MANILA WHERE I ALSO LIVED FOR 8 MONTHS

Tingo Rick :

I LIVED IN FLORIDA FOR 30 YEARS -MIAMI  HIALEAH DANIA   ORLANDO  SARASOTA   AND BRADENTON.ALL ARE EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH  RENTAL ARE VERY EXPENSIVE NOT TO MENTION CAR INS  ELECTRIC ETC I GOT TIRED OF IT AND FIRST VISITED CR IN 1993.  WILL NEVER GO BACK TO USA EXCEPT TO VISIT MY CHILDREN FROM MY X OR CONNECT IN ATLANTA OR LOS ANGELES TO MANILA WHERE I ALSO LIVED FOR 8 MONTHS

Hello Tingo Rick and thank you for your participation on this thread. :top:

Please avoid writing with your caps lock on for future posts.

:cheers:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Amourdelavie, as I read what happened in Tamarindo and how you ended your report: may the nature of Ticos and Ticas take a path of little more honesty and not see us as open bank accounts to just dig in ...we are a joke to them, I recalled what the author of The Costa Rica No One Talks About wrote in his book and his call to Costa Ricans for a change of mindset towards all foreigners in order, as the author wrote, to improve not only the well-being of those foreigners who visit you or elect to live in your country
but also your own well-being and create a better Costa Rica, one that will attract more visitors and investors?
Here's the author's page where you can get more information about the book francoissylvain.com/

Tamarindo is scary at night imo. especially if your not the partying type. sounds like chaos from the hotel i stayed at.  though it was gated and guarded, made it feel even more insecure. almost a feeling of, if this hotel was not gated and guarded all hell could break loose. i dont know. maybe i was just paranoid lol...

There are more murders in Tamarindo than there are in the Jamaican city of Limon.  http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/02/16/cos … mbers-dead

Killers know where there are no police presence in Costa Rica.
http://news.co.cr/after-gruesome-murder … ity/38240/

Wow reading some horror stories. what are the laws in CR for owning a gun. perhaps arming ones self atleast in your own home. looks like as mentioned earlier, a very loud security system and a dog perhaps..

Only if you have Permanent Residency status or are a CR citizen, is it legal to own firearms.

Never leave a home unattended.  One lady took her dog to the vet, gone two hours and lost her fridge.
The security guards at (some) gated communities get paid commissions from thieves for advising them when homes are vacant.

Sanbuenaventuraman :

Never leave a home unattended.  One lady took her dog to the vet, gone two hours and lost her fridge.
The security guards at (some) gated communities get paid commissions from thieves for advising them when homes are vacant.

Lost her fridge? lollll gees. hearing all of this certainly puts alot of doubt in peoples minds. IMO, if your going down there, it is to get away from the North American ways. you dont need to be standing out in places like that. the simple life... i dont think anyone would wanna rob you if  you simply blended in.

Petty theft is a hobby down here.  Even the monkeys took my hose and left it up in a tree.  I had to get my wife to climb up and get it.  One guy (a few years back) had his bathroom stripped of the toilet and sink.

Blend in?
Thieves will rob anyone, they are not particular... :huh:

And yet there are many of us who have not had a problem.  We were robbed twice in rural Alberta but here we have been golden.

Based on population verses the number of murders..... Costa Rica has a murder rate problem which is much greater than in Alberta.    http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/02/17/cos … j-director

A thief is a thief...agreed. But you are more likely to get robbed if you are flamboyant or flashy if you know what i mean... you gotta show less than what you have and say less than what you know. if you aren't street smart, then yes, get ready to get robbed. Mentality in third world countries is different. coming from Canada or US, you best change that attitude, cause you ain't got no chip on that shoulder.

Since we 'extranjeros' are in minority in Costa Rica, know that many, many more Ticos are robbed or have been the victim of a break-in, than 'us'.

Many own much more upscale homes and drive bigger and more expensive vehicles that the majority of 'us'.

It is a crime of opportunity.

I hope those who have never been targeted, continue to stay that way. :top:

You are correct to a point.  Flaunting your riches does bring face to face robberies, but in Costa Rica even the poor have their homes broken into.  It's actually easier to break into a poor persons home in Costa Rica than it is to get into a home in a guarded Gringo gated community.  Added note:  Costa Rica is a developing country, not a third world country.  I caught two young boys trying to steal from our property.  The police agreed to let them go as long as they reported back to my home at noon the next day, where I provided them with lunch.  To make a long story short.... one of them is now our gardener and pool guy.  They were just young guys with no hopes of securing employment.

Expatriate health insurance in Costa Rica

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Costa Rica

Moving to Costa Rica

Find tips from professionals about moving to Costa Rica

Travel insurance in Costa Rica

Enjoy stress-free travel to Costa Rica

Flights to Costa Rica

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Costa Rica