Visa for Americans.

We are an NGO in Romania for nearly 25 years.  We are now trying to get visas for our daughter and her husband in order for them to take over here.
We have been told by all officials that the new law allows only 1 year for Americans!
Can anyone help us with information on visas, any Americans with this problem?
Thanks for any help.
Sandie Tanner

You are citizens of Romania?  Or do you maintain just resident status?

If you are citizens you could apply for resident status for them through the family rehabilitation route.  Once they hold residence in Romania for 5 years they can apply for citizenship.  This seems to be the easiest way.  I did this about a year ago and am American.  I was given a 5 year residency card.  This may have changed because at that pointbthey told me they would choose if I was going to receive 1 year or 5 years.  If you only recieve 1 year it it is nothing to worry about just renew it.  It sucks and you may have to do it five times but then they can take the citizenship test.

We have resident status, we are all Americans.  The one year visa is no longer available under new law.  If we could do that, we would be thrilled at this point.
Thanks for your reply.
Sandie

ya that only works for citizens of Romania bringing family in, not residents.  good luck!

CHRISTOPHER JH wrote:

ya that only works for citizens of Romania bringing family in, not residents.  good luck!

Christopher, this is not correct.  Holders of a permis de sedere temporara, EU blue card, or refugee status have the right to sponsor family members under a family reintegration visa.  It is not true that only citizens can request it.

That said, from what I understand from the OP's post, their daughter is married, so I imagine she is not a minor.  That eliminates them from asking for family reintegration visa under the current law.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team