Need Assistance - How to keep connected with family in Texas?

I need the forum's help. I plan to be in Placencia, Belize next month and I would like for my family to be able to contact me from Texas and me to contact them during my stay. I was trying to research the Magic Jack but I'm not sure if that would work for Cellular. If someone would please advise I would appreciate your help.

Facebook messenger, free. I talk to states and Canada. You can also video, tablet and cell.

I always use my i phone and/or I pad on local wifi (all roaming etc switched off) then I can use Messenger or skype.  works well.

Skype works well most of the time. As long as you are both on line, it's free.

Do you use your iPhone from the states or one from Belize?

Thank you Cochise8933

Thank you Sittee4 for the information

I use my us normal us Iphone 5 have to turn off all roaming etc but then it is basicsally a mini computer on WIFI. I"ve been told that you can get a Temporary chip in Belize to put in your Iphone and buy minutes and airtime locally but these do not actually work well as they  can only work with a specific phone companies machine and never found out which one.

Thank you Terrific. I was told that I could use the magic jack. Have you heard of this being used for cell phones?

If your IPhone is factory unlocked or unlocked by your provider, uses a sim card (GSM), then you can use a Belize (Digicell) sim card. You can get a prepaid package. It works perfectly. The Digicell website has all the information.

Is it better to purchase a unlocked phone here rather than in the states? I don't want to use my iPhone.

I believe it is just as inexpensive to buy your phone in Belize. I wanted a hotspot, and have a Sumsung -2G for $90bzd.

Thank you Cochise8933