Renting/Leasing a car

I'll be arriving in Kuwait soon.  I'm an American, but have neither a home country license nor an international driving permit.

What I do have is a current license from Saudi Arabia and a current license from Malaysia.

Is it possible to rent/lease a car on a monthly basis, with either of these?

First off, welcome to Kuwait!  :cheers:

I've just asked a family member and he said as long as you have a driving license from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, it will be valid here since all of our countries are GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council).

But for leasing the car, he said the "system" is shared. Meaning if you have a traffic violation in Saudi Arabia you will have to pay it here, the same applies for our country if you go to any GCC country other than here..

I hope this helps.

Helps immensely, thank you.

Clean driving record, so I am good to go, it seems.

I think you will be able to use your Saudi lincense in Kuwait provided that you are still on you visit visa, not a resident visa.

I might be wrong though you might want to double check with your company rep.

That was my thinking, as well, but I'll check.

Thanks.

Even if you dont currently possess an international licence, i think visiting the Kuwait Motor Club on the 4th ring road and asking if you can have one issued to be used in kuwait on the basis of your saudi one could also be a possibility - Kuwait is listed as one of the ocuntries where the international licence is valid, would seem viable you can apply for it here and use here, provided you also get the necessary insurance (Which is around 13-15KD if memory serves)

Thanks, I'll check into that.